Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a service appointment today to have my back bumper cover replaced as a result of stains that can't be removed. I think this place washes the vehicle before you get it back. This has happened with other vehicles I have owned and I usually refuse their wash. I've always thought that a carelessly washed vehicles can scratch up the paint. How do other people feel about the dealership washing their vehicle or am I just worrying about nothing?

·
Registered
697 Posts
I noticed your name so I assume you're in MA. I've been to a ton of dealerships in MA and have yet to find one that washes a vehicle for a simple service. I think that it's no different than when you take possession of your vehicle and when you go pick it up its shiny and clean. Real dealerships don't want the headache of a customer complaining about scratches or swirls so they train their people how to wash and what products to use. A guy at my work used to do it about 5 years ago for extra cash and he is meticulous about his vehicles. He gave me some concoction he mixed up to take road tar and stains off when I drove through a worksite on the expressway. It was like a vanishing cream and didn't bother the clear coat. If you go to a second hand dealership like a JD Byrider, I'd definitely have your concern.......and I wouldn't leave anything valuable in there either. I'd say you're worrying for nothing. Enjoy the Jeep and I'll see you on the roads, paved or not.

·
Super Moderator
10,635 Posts
Mine offers it but I refuse because I don't need a 40 minute service turn into a 1.5 hr long dealer visit.

Besides, it's a Jeep. Who cares if is not clean and shiny all the time?

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Got a service appointment today to have my back bumper cover replaced as a result of stains that can't be removed. I think this place washes the vehicle before you get it back. This has happened with other vehicles I have owned and I usually refuse their wash. I've always thought that a carelessly washed vehicles can scratch up the paint. How do other people feel about the dealership washing their vehicle or am I just worrying about nothing?
I am sure you are a new Jeep owner. You are going to have to get past the scratches part of a Jeep. I put a chip in my paint the second week I owned it when I dropped my door and the hinge pin hit the rocker panel.

I know you just shelled out some coin but you bought a JEEP. No one wants to trash a new vehicle, I get it but swirl marks in the paint from a car washing isn't going to be a big deal if you take that thing off road.
I had my Jeep covered in mud within 200 miles of owning it and even the process of washing that mud off will microscopically scratch your clear. Once again, its a Jeep. I saw your other post, yes after a few miles and a few trail rides down a 6 foot trail in the summer will you kind of cone to an acceptance that the Jeep IS going to get scratched.

Now saddle up and get that thing out of the mall parking lot and on to a trail!:dance:

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm having trouble switching from Corvette owner mode to Wrangler owner mode. I'm sure I'll eventually get over it.

·
Registered
73 Posts
In Central MA, and very meticulous about my Black Jeeps... The dealership washes it every time i'm in there... They also know how picky I am and will call them out on anything they messed up... Been 5 Jeeps and 7 years later with no complaints of them washing/cleaning them.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
I feel ya buddy. Believe me it never feels good to scratch something and a Vette NEVER should have a scratch. The Jeep is so much fun because eventually you will still be protective of it but you will have no trouble taking it places the Vette can never go. A little trail pin striping is a rite of passage. Welcome to the club, you have friends and support here!

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Captain Ed!
I've gone full circle from a CJ5 in my youth to various family cars/vans to a Wrangler X to a Miata to a Corvette to my current Black Bear. For the fun factor, nothing compares with a Wrangler.

·
Registered
373 Posts
My first new vehicle was a 1961 Volkswagen Beetle. Every time it went in for service the dealer washed it and gave me the results of a compression test. In all the years since, no dealer has ever even asked if I wanted by vehicle washed. On fourth new Jeep now. New Corvette, Cadillac, Chevy truck, Ford trucks, Chevy Camaro, none washed by dealer.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Around here that was standard practice at the better dealerships 10-15 years ago but no more.

In fact, I pretty much have to wash mine after picking it up because they get it so dirty.

This week I got mine back after they replaced the front door seals. Black adhesive muck everywhere and a paint chip on the driver's door that they tried to conceal with touch up paint.

Last night we endured a constant terrible rattle on a 30 mile journey, coming from the passenger door area. Drove us crazy trying to figure out where it was coming from. Got home and realized they left the bolt loose at the top of the passenger side A-pillar.

Sloppy work. Just sloppy.

·
Premium Member
16,902 Posts
This one is White because of how I am/was about Black.
I couldn't help it. I see details.
White has set me Free.

Still would not let a dealer wash anything I own.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
I don't let the dealer wash any of my vehicles. I also get that it's a jeep and it's gonna get scratched but i still don't need the dealer to make it worse just cause it's a jeep.

·
Registered
583 Posts
The stealership by my place has a "touchless' car wash and when they offer I kindly accept, it only takes an extra 8 mins or so.

·
Registered
483 Posts
They only wash my Jeep in the winter. Warmer months the tops down and doors hanging in the garage. My dealer calls after every service to see how they did and if it was washed prior to releasing it. The first time I said it was just as dirty when I picked it up as when I dropped it off. The lady apologized and said it was their policy to clean every vehicle. I laughed a bit and explained it didn't have any doors on and the top was down and was happy they didn't wash it. She chuckled a bit too. When I drop it off, if the vinyl windows are dirty I ask that they not touch them so they don't get scratched and they will wash the rest and honor my request.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I typically refuse a wash if they ask me. I'm picky and I feel I can do it better. It's my OCD.
totally agree with you

I think the dealer wash is harming the car paint , they just use some brush which has washed hundreds of car and never been cleaned once , even may has been used to clean the floor also, and can you image what towel they use to clean your car?

and also they never wax after washing your car

so I'd like to do it myself

yes, I'm picky too

·
Registered
96 Posts
They don't offer, and since mine has only been in there for warranty work and servicing I have to pray they actually fix it, they realize a warranty repair is a no charge to the customer, and there should be no diagnostic fee involved. If they did offer a car wash, I am sure they would charge for it, and probably 10 times the going market rate.

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
I had a black Integra in the late 90s and the Acura dealer swirled the hell out of the black paint. I was so furious. Same dealer also had a mechanic scratch up the fender with his belt buckle. They had to repaint the front of the car. Then it got totaled a few months later anyway. Needless to say I never went back to that dealer.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts