Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok - So I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for dog crates/carriers to mount where the rear seat bolts to the tub?

I mean - I could always just leash the dogs to the roll bar but they just might be special enough to jump out and hang themselves while we're on the move.

Thanks - Ryan & Salem

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
I want to get a cargo tray that goes into the reciever hitch. Then I will lash my dogs crate to that. I have one that is special and would jump out of the bed of my last truck when we slowed for a turn.

·
Premium Member
691 Posts
dog training

I might be out of line but, better trainimg? I wheel all the time with my Labrador and he never gets out of the Jeep until I allow it. Even if he see a rabbit, deer or something he'll let me know, but he won't get out until I call him.

I'm stopped for lunch in these pictures. Told him to stay! And there he stayed. I let him out to eat after all the jeepers had ate their lunches. He begs sometimes, but we're working on that problem.:thumb:

Attachments

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
haha - that's not out of line at all. i knew the comment was coming. i figured there would be some training associated because he's never been in a vehicle where he had access to just jumping and running. companies like Ray Allen make conversions for (insert police vehicle here).

i'm in the market for a yj and i'm just scoping my options. nice lookin' lab btw.

·
Registered
72 Posts
ya my lab sits in the back seat too, and i never have any problems maybe you should just get a lab lol. I would get the hitch cargo carrier or whatever its called and strap my kennel crate to it

·
Registered
185 Posts
I Cary my Boxer and German Shepard with me. I made a leash anchoring point that bolt's to the seat mount brackets that will only allow the dogs to stick there noses past the roll bar. Works great. As far as a dog crate mounted to a hitch rack, I would NEVER do that. It's a dangerous place for a dog to be. What if I got rear ended. Also all the fumes from the exhaust would be right in there faces.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I Cary my Boxer and German Shepard with me. I made a leash anchoring point that bolt's to the seat mount brackets that will only allow the dogs to stick there noses past the roll bar. Works great. As far as a dog crate mounted to a hitch rack, I would NEVER do that. It's a dangerous place for a dog to be. What if I got rear ended. Also all the fumes from the exhaust would be right in there faces.
ding ding ding

we have a winner... can you send me a picture of what that looks like? are you using a harness for the dogs?

·
Registered
185 Posts
The dogs have chest harnesses with a "D" ring for attaching a leash. I then got 2 leashes that are only 24" long. I removed the rear seat and the front mounts for the rear seat and installed 2 bolt down "D" rings to the floor with the leash handles through the "D" rings before the "D" rings were bolted down. When the dogs load up, they sit and wait for me to clip there leash's to them and then off we go! It's like a seat belt for dogs. Its long enough for them to stand there front legs on the rear fender well or snuffle my ear but they cant get out even enough to hang themselves. Sorry no pics. The hard top is on right now but they still wear there seat belts.

Chest harness
Nylon Harness by Zack & Zoey - Parrot Green - 28 - 36" Chest#

"D" rings
Trailer D-Ring Tie Down, Bolt-on, 5K Brophy Trailer Cargo Control SR15-C

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
They also make a leash/harness that is designes to go on the seaT belt so you can buckle them in just like you would a child.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I have the same problem. My dog is well behaved and will stay when I tell her to. But she does not like other dogs near her vehicles and house and turns into Cujo. So I can't trust to not have her leashed. At the moment I leash her to the rollbar with two leashes, one on each side, so she can only go so far to each side. She's confined to the seat area only and can't hang herself that way. I am doing this only for now while I've been searching for a better, more permanent way. I can't take my back seat out because I still need it for my boy when my hubby comes out with us. We've been thinking of just getting a cargo net.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Oh, sorry I wasn't clear. I still would never have her unstrapped in any way. She's always leashed in even with the top on, and in cars. And she's wearing one of those harnesses as well. :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts