Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
I am doing this lift exactly as described in the thread this weekend. Any last minute advice?

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f202/most-popular-lift-shock-setup-on-wf-1136938.html

I am fairly mechanical. Looking forward to the experience.
It wasn't bad at all. I wrenched with some buddies in my garage and took about 6 hours with self induced friction on some parts for being a bit "aggressive." As usual, air tools and an extra set or two of hands make it quicker. The best advice I can is to have two jacks and two sets of jack stands which will make things much faster and easier. Getting the track bar bolts to align can be fun but is easier if done with the weight of the vehicle on the ground and have your buddies move the steering wheel (front) or move the bumper (back). Don't forget to loosen all the control arm bolts before you start. Its fun, good luck.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It wasn't bad at all. I wrenched with some buddies in my garage and took about 6 hours with self induced friction on some parts for being a bit "aggressive." As usual, air tools and an extra set or two of hands make it quicker. The best advice I can is to have two jacks and two sets of jack stands which will make things much faster and easier. Getting the track bar bolts to align can be fun but is easier if done with the weight of the vehicle on the ground and have your buddies move the steering wheel (front) or move the bumper (back). Don't forget to loosen all the control arm bolts before you start. Its fun, good luck.
Thanks for the input. I have all the tools you mentioned. I purchased a front adjustable track bar. Hoping it will make it easier to get the bolts lined up and then go for centering the axle by adjusting it. I am doing it mostly on my own with some assistance from my teenage son. Hoping for a great Saturday in the garage.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Thanks for the input. I have all the tools you mentioned. I purchased a front adjustable track bar. Hoping it will make it easier to get the bolts lined up and then go for centering the axle by adjusting it. I am doing it mostly on my own with some assistance from my teenage son. Hoping for a great Saturday in the garage.
I also got the adjustable track bar but still needed to wrestle a bit since we put it on while still jacked up, nothing crazy though. Truth in adverting is we were dumb (aggressive) because we were cruising on the install and got to the installation of the relocation brackets and disconnected both sides at the same time so we had to wrestle getting the axle to line back up. If you just do one side at a time you will be golden. Im excited to see pics. Don't forget the before and after pictures. PM if any questions but its pretty straightforward

There are plenty of install videos on youtube but these two were my favorite and is what I used to "train" my crew that helped.

Different kit but very good step by step done in a garage: https://youtu.be/LZhEyieBGdE

Teraflex kit but done on a lift: https://youtu.be/MYHg2k-7s0s

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The weekend went well. It did take two days to do the lift but considering I had no help and I took my time I think it went well.

Anyone considering doing a lift air tools are a must. Could not imagine doing this without. Also, a extra pair of jack stands were very helpful. I used only one floor jack.

The only problem I had was with the exhaust spacers. I could not get the stock Y-Pipe to slide back into the cat back far enough for the spacers to fit at the flanges. I did remove the index, just could not get it to slide back far enough. I consider the spacers to be a bandaid to the problem so I decided to install a full AFE y-pipe and cat back exhaust system. This is a good solution to the front drive shaft problem and the sound of the new exhaust is much better than stock.

I have not been able to get the rear axle aligned perfectly using just the provided Teraflex axle mounted bracket so I decided to install a Superlift rear adjustable track bar. Will be installing it soon. The front axle aligned perfectly as I already intended to install a front adjustable track bar.

Had it aligned at the shop after the lift. It did get slightly out of spec after the lift. Drives very well. I have 35" tires and I do notice some sluggishness. Not as peppy as before. I plan on having it re-geared from 3.73 to 4.56 in the fall.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
your install mirrored my install, except mine took 2 weekends and I had a hell of a time installing the exhaust spacer. My rear axle is off about 1/2" and I'm living with it. Excellent choice on the 4.56

1 - 6 of 6 Posts