Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know, my fault.
But in all the chaos of dealing with my totaled JKU, I forgot to unlock my AEV Procal from the VIN.
I contacted AEV thinking maybe I could send it in to be unlocked. Nope. The response was a simple, "sorry, we don't program those here".
So in other words, on top of all the other financial losses, I'm out an additional $170.

:rant:

So just a reminder... don't make the same mistake I did.

·
Registered
87 Posts
So can you unlock it after each change and still keep the change, or when you unlock does it reset to factory?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think it resets to factory settings, but I'm not exactly sure.
I talked to my insurance company and I'm currently trying to gain access to the jeep at the salvage yard to hopefully avoid having to purchase a new one.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
cant see why they wouldnt let you do that. just might need to bring a battery to turn the jeep on, since they usually take them out if they're in the salvage yard.

Reactions: d2mini

·
Premium Member
2,990 Posts
So can you unlock it after each change and still keep the change, or when you unlock does it reset to factory?

I think it resets to factory settings, but I'm not exactly sure.
I talked to my insurance company and I'm currently trying to gain access to the jeep at the salvage yard to hopefully avoid having to purchase a new one.

It resets everything back to the factory settings.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So this morning I drive all the way out to the salvage yard. Copart here in Houston.
Totally NOT what I was expecting. This place was extraordinary! :jawdrop:

I walk inside and it was like walking into the DMV. A few big lines of people. And behind the counter was cubicle after cubicle of people working. I stand online for 20 mins and then explain to the guy I just need access to my vehicle to retrieve something. Give him the tag number, my license, and sign a death waiver in case I get run over by a fork lift. It's funny how when we're handed a waiver like that we are all just like yeah yeah yeah where do I sign. Like those iOS agreements we never read. Anyway, then I go outside, hand my paperwork to the Gatekeeper and proceed to wait. It's a HUGE dirt landscape. The terrain is rows and rows of smashed cars and trucks, as far as you can see. The atmosphere is a heavy cloud of dust. And the lifeforms are giant bulldozer sized forklifts running back and forth with purpose, flat beds coming and going, and even 18 wheelers going in and out of the gate. It was definitely something to behold. 10 mins later, out in the distance, one of said giant forklifts emerges from the dust cloud carrying my jeep. He gets to me, lowers it to the ground and then heads off to pick up his next passenger. I open the door and the key is hanging from the steering wheel. I put it in the ignition and get nothing. Nada. Zilch. I go and open up the hood and the battery is there, and connected, but still no worky. Crap. So I walk back over to the Gatekeeper and explain the situation. He asks if I'd like a jump. I'm like hell yeah kind Sir, that would be awesome. So back to waiting. 10 mins later, here comes the Battery Minion with a portable battery charger. He hooks it up, I get back in the jeep, turn the ignition to RUN and plug in the AEV and BEEP BEEP BEEP. Success!!!

I thank the Battery Minion, close the hood and leave Planet Salvage for good.

Get back to my office and try the AEV on the new Jeep and BEEP BEEP. Seems to be working!

/end saga.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Well written, funny and satisfying. (except for the totaled Jeep) Glad you were able to get your ProCal reset. Sounds like an impressive place where people actually know what they are doing! I was waiting for the other shoe to drop where the "Battery Minion" was going to charge you for the jump.

·
Registered
379 Posts
I was talking with a guy who had one advertised on Craigslist and when I asked about it being reset he was like "Huh? What are you talking about?" Then he looked up the instructions on AEV's site then was like "Well crap, there goes a hundred bucks."

I found another one on OfferUp and got it for $100. Works fine.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
I swear I smell diesel on me, and had to wipe dust from the corner of my eye.
x2. Great story. Just goes to show you that wrecked vehicles are a really big business. Not your father's junkyard any more, that's for sure.

I was recently in El Salvador. I commented to the guide that I was struck by all the nice looking American cars on the road. He told me that they're all wrecks imported from the US. I even spotted a couple of Wranglers down there.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I was waiting for the other shoe to drop where the "Battery Minion" was going to charge you for the jump.
I know, right?!
That was the other thing I was kind of shocked about in this strange land.
My jeep was delivered to me by forklift, and i got a jump. All free of charge! :eek:

·
Registered
726 Posts
x2. Great story. Just goes to show you that wrecked vehicles are a really big business. Not your father's junkyard any more, that's for sure.

I was recently in El Salvador. I commented to the guide that I was struck by all the nice looking American cars on the road. He told me that they're all wrecks imported from the US. I even spotted a couple of Wranglers down there.
Haha, the wranglers probably weren't wrecks, they were stolen.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts