Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So maybe I'm weird but Im not a fan of tracking cookies on my computer. I Clear my cookies periodically to keep it running well and the Artecindustries.com tracking automatically reloads. I can watch it repopulate within seconds after I clear it. All of the regular companies clear and do not repopulate unless I visit their site. Sorry just a rant.

·
Registered
6,202 Posts
ruffstuff sells tin foil hats

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
So maybe I'm weird but Im not a fan of tracking cookies on my computer. I Clear my cookies periodically to keep it running well and the Artecindustries.com tracking automatically reloads. I can watch it repopulate within seconds after I clear it. All of the regular companies clear and do not repopulate unless I visit their site. Sorry just a rant.
What browser are you using?

Do you have the Artec page open in another instance of the browser or another browser tab? If so, the cookies will reload until you close the link to the site.

Turning off third party cookies helps avoid stuff like this. As a last resort you can use the Private browsing if your browser supports it.

FWIW, I use Firefox. I just went to the Artec page in normal browsing mode. It set a cookie. I closed the Artec window and deleted the cookie.. It never came back.

·
Premium Member
1,601 Posts
I know how I do it if they're chocolate chip.....
That just isn't fair.... Now I am craving a glass of milk and chocolate chip cookies.

Reactions: RuDawg7890

·
Registered
347 Posts
One way to keep sites from tracking you [too much] is to browse (especially something unknown and/or suspicious) in an incognito window (almost all modern browsers have it, some call it "private" windows). This is not bulletproof, though, as there are advanced ways to track users.

·
Registered
4,000 Posts
So did you email them?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My hair is not really on fire over it so I have not looked into in anymore. I don't have any other windows or tabs open. I only use " Private browsing" when I am searching Land cruiser stuff so my Jeep friends can't find out. As far as sending them an email that would require me going back to their site. Ill just let it be and hopefully my next software update will blow it out. I think Ill just have some Oreo cookies instead.

·
Registered
181 Posts
If your pissed at Artec for something as trivial as a cookie I guess you don't use google or Amazon then since they invade your privacy much more than just keeping track of your browsing session.

I seriously doubt a string of cookie data that helps a website remember you (http is stateless after all) will somehow affect your browser performance. That's all a cookie is - a piece of static data. It doesn't use memory nor does it consume cpu.

·
Registered
344 Posts
So did you email them?
That's good advice, just talk with them about it and they can help you understand what they use them for.

Others are correct though, Amazon, Google and the others are freely sharing your information far more than smaller guys like Artec. If you even browse for something Jeep related, you can bet Amazon and Google with be all over it with ads, tracking, etc.

Heck, even my Amazon Echo records ambient conversations and noise and then ad targets based on what we talk about it.

We were talking about buying a new living room set a few weeks ago and suddenly i started seeing living room set advertisement on various sites and Amazon. Scary but reality.

Internet privacy is kind of impossible unfortunately.

·
Registered
8,924 Posts
Browse through a proxy server too.

...and I caught Google turning my TV back on and watching me undress this morning. Not comfortable with that at all. No sir.

Reactions: RubiconSS

·
Premium Member
16,895 Posts
Browse through a proxy server too.

...and I caught Google turning my TV back on and watching me undress this morning. Not comfortable with that at all. No sir.
Google did that to me (once) and then I caught Google, "Googling" "ugly-ass white boy"

very offensive.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts