Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6,886 Posts
Yes it is an allen. It's not much of an anti-theft.

·
Registered
739 Posts
There might be a pin in the middle of the head and a corresponding hole in the allan key something similar to this.

·
Show Me Your 8008135!
3,690 Posts
From the picture they're not security screws or whatever you call them...they're not truly anti-theft, but they're more anti-theft than the standard nut that holds the doors on. Many thieves may carry an adjustable wrench, but they don't usually carry a full set of allen wrenches, etc...gotta remember, if someone REALLY wants your doors, they're gonna take em regardless of what you put on them.

·
Registered
772 Posts
There might be a pin in the middle of the head and a corresponding hole in the allan key something similar to this.
got lic plate bolts like that-not 100% fool proof but will slow you down if you do not happen to have the right wrench. should stop 'spur of the moment' theifs. you can't stop a determined theif, best you can do is slow em down to the point they'll look elsewhere and items like this will discourage the 'rip and run' theifs.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I uses the assumption that the average thief doesn't carry a tool box with him.

·
Jeeponator
1,413 Posts
Well, how about if they carry vise-grips, or channel locks even. $30 for for 4 Allen head nuts and an Allen wrench? I don't get it. And the fact that they call them "anti-theft" bugs me. I'm not a vendor basher but this one is ridiculous.

·
Registered
349 Posts
It's an "ex key" by the way, not an Allen wrench..... (as printed in the ad)

Mine never let me have one..... I heard they can be useful though when the doghouse ain't cuttin' it.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Here's what your "Your Tamperproof Fastener experts" have to offer. Only one hex shape there and it has a pin in the middle.
None of those designs are foolproof. Vice grips can handle any bolt head that they can get a grip on.

·
Registered
28 Posts
not to mention that any stripped nut remover in a cordless 18 volt reversible impact driver will make that useless. thieves nowadays are high tech...they can strip a Jeep doors off in 10 seconds while your at the fast food counter ordering!

·
Show Me Your 8008135!
3,690 Posts
not to mention that any stripped nut remover in a cordless 18 volt reversible impact driver will make that useless. thieves nowadays are high tech...they can strip a Jeep doors off in 10 seconds while your at the fast food counter ordering!
There's a reason why you shouldn't grease up your hinge pins the first time you remove your doors...thieves may be high tech with all the latest tools and stripped nut removers, but I bet they don't carry a floor jack and a block of wood with them! :flipoff:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts