Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heard the side steps by ace help. If i go with sidesteps is there one that mounts on the stock rock rails? Got a jkj big bear with a 2.5 lift. Also saw some armor and curious if that works? Or just for scratches? Any help id appreciated, thanks!

·
Registered
209 Posts
The Hard Rock rock rails work great. if someone gets stupid opening their door, they just slam into the rails, unless they are driving something well lifted

·
Registered
10,414 Posts
Got a jkj big bear with a 2.5 lift.
IMHO, a good lift (like you have) is the best protection. Only a "monster truck" parking next to you, could still ding your doors.

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
Yes, the Wrangler is very low on the door ding vulnerability scale. With side steps or rock rails, the average car can't bump the door or any of the other finish. (Except perhaps painted fenders. I don't know if they would chip.... My fenders are black).

The only thing to worry about is full sized pickup trucks The bottom of the doors are higher than the Jeep side steps or rock rails so they can make contact with the painted surface.

For the ultimate protection, just remove your doors. I've had my doors off since June. They can't get dinged while hanging up in the garage :)

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
The Ace and Barricade sliders are the only ones that I can think of that work with the stock rock rails on your Big Bear. They both mount using the body mounts. The Ace units require you to grind/cut a little off of the washers (easy process), and the Barricades don't require any modification to mount up.

As @fbama73 mentioned, the HardRock rock rails would work as well, but they would replace your existing Rubi rails. Barricade makes an enhanced Rubi rail that is very similar to the HardRock unit.

FWIW, I also have a Big Bear and plan to go with the Ace sliders.

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
If you have the factory rock rails or side steps, I don't think a typical car or suv could nick you doors. My JKU WW is my only vehicle that I will park next to another vehicle in a lot because they will hurt their door before they nick my jeep.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
The best protection against parking lot door dings is to choose where you park. I usually park near the end of the lot away from everyone.

·
Registered
418 Posts
+1 for the lift.

It's difficult for the soccer mom who parks like an a**hat to door ding me. Although it's REALLY entertaining to watch them, especially when they get a puzzled look on their face when they jack their door up on my rock rails. It's awkward though when they just give you a dirty glare like you're the a**hole in the situation. *shrug*

·
Registered
10,546 Posts
The best protection is using good judgement when parking. Even if you have rock rails, not all vehicles are the same and still could impact your doors and what not based on the other vehicles configuration. A 2.5 lifted jk is still small compared to many other vehicles out there.

·
Registered
133 Posts
My side steps would CRUSH their door edge long before it could get to my door. Only something taller or with an absolute bizarre shaped door would have a chance.

They could get the flares I guess, but even that would take something pretty tall or a magically well placed shot.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The Ace and Barricade sliders are the only ones that I can think of that work with the stock rock rails on your Big Bear. They both mount using the body mounts. The Ace units require you to grind/cut a little off of the washers (easy process), and the Barricades don't require any modification to mount up.

As @fbama73 mentioned, the HardRock rock rails would work as well, but they would replace your existing Rubi rails. Barricade makes an enhanced Rubi rail that is very similar to the HardRock unit.

Plan to do so as well which is better? Why are you going with the Ace over barricade btw? Just curiois

The best protection against parking lot door dings is to choose where you park. I usually park near the end of the lot away from everyone.
True but if theres no where else to park im kinda stuck, thats how my renegade got dented sadly. Dont wish for the wrangler to have the same event lol, i would remove the doors but the summer in NY has been rain half the time lol

·
Premium Member
2,467 Posts
I used to worry about this. After two years with 2" MOPAR lift, 35s, Barricade sliders, no dings (well from other cars anyway). The center of the slider, where most cars doors would hit is 22" off the ground.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I've got the Smittybilt SRC side armor step/rail combo. Haven't seen any action with them offroad (I try to stay away from rocks) but they've claimed a handful of victims (including one who demanded my insurance info so he could claim against my illegal vehicle modifications :lmao: ) in parking lots who swing their doors open. They take no prisoners in parking lots, but you still need to be careful with 4 door vehicles as the back doors aren't usually flat, most of them have a large curve that would go past the step.

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
Plan to do so as well which is better? Why are you going with the Ace over barricade btw? Just curiois
Personal preference really. I like the way the Ace supports are straight and not angled like the Barricades. The Ace units also stick out a tiny bit further than the Barricades. On the flipside, most folks that run the Ace units add some grip tape to the rail since the finish is not quite as textured as some others. The Barricades have a more textured finish.

There have been quite a few threads comparing the two. This one has lots of posts and several pictures of each:
http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/barricade-vs-ace-sliders-1012322.html

·
Registered
726 Posts

I like that, would probably look better on a stock jeep like mine. Not overly obtrusive, but just enough to do the job.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Apparently ace is backordered i like the looks of the barricade a lot more but cant beat lifetime warranty

·
Registered
243 Posts
Question about the Smittybilt SRC's: Can anyone tell me how far down they hang? As in, the distance from the step surface to the lower tube?

·
Premium Member
16,902 Posts
IF I'm still in my Jeep when they try and park I just pretend I'm having an argument with myself about where to hide the bodies.

That usually does the trick but failing that my Hardrock rails seem to do the trick :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts