Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone else find the electrical connectors for their doors to be very hard to remove? Yes, I am sliding the red gate to the open position, but even then it's extremely hard to get the connectors to come apart. Any tips for how to make this easier? Is there a graphite lubricant or anything that will make them less stiff?

Thanks,

Ian

·
Registered
37 Posts
It does get a little easier after a few removals. The first few times for me were a bitch...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It does get a little easier after a few removals. The first few times for me were a bitch...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I've done it 3 times in the last week and it's just as hard each time. It can't be supposed to be this difficult.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
I'd like to know how Jeep determines what model gets what connector. My 2017 does not have the red sliders for the doors. I just have a gray button/lever to push in as I pull it out. Still not easy, but last night was the third or fourth time I've taken them off in the past month and it is getting SLIGHTLY easier each time.

·
Registered
787 Posts
My 2017 doesn't have the red sliders on the door connectors either.

They are definitely tight.

I've removed mine maybe 5 or 6 times and no getting easier yet.

·
Registered
8 Posts
If you're talking about the connector for the power window switch (and similar), you don't just have to slide the slider but you have to push on the piece that goes into that latch. It's still hard, but at least it's possible that way.

·
Registered
13 Posts
The door connectors on my 2017 come off pretty easy, as someone else already mentioned, jeep changed the red slider to just a gray latch that you push in. Pretty quick compared to the 7-10 minutes I spend fighting the red latch on the connector to remove the hard top.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If you're talking about the connector for the power window switch (and similar), you don't just have to slide the slider but you have to push on the piece that goes into that latch. It's still hard, but at least it's possible that way.
I figured that out just before I saw this. Purely by chance. Thanks for this info. Here's a photo of mine showing exactly where you press. Then it's easy....:)

Ian

·
Premium Member
8,337 Posts
What ever you do, DO NOT PUT GRAPHITE IN AN ELECTRICAL CONNECTION.

Reactions: Boxcarwill

·
Registered
6,696 Posts
I have my doors off a lot and got sick of the locking tabs, so I cut them off. The plugs simply slide in and out of place now. Haven't had one slide out of place on the road as a result either.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have my doors off a lot and got sick of the locking tabs, so I cut them off. The plugs simply slide in and out of place now. Haven't had one slide out of place on the road as a result either.
It does seem like overkill to build those connectors the way they are made.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Connectors on my '16 are white, do NOT have the red locking slider like the hardtop wiring connector has, and come off easily by simply pressing in on the little tab in the middle of the connector and pulling down.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Ah,,, you remember the pencil conducting electrical connection experiment in science class.. Yes,, graphite does conduct electricity. And it's also messy stuff. Used to be made of lead, now coal,,,

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I wasn't planning on spraying it liberally into the connector, just using a little on the outside of the plug to help it slide into the socket. The advantage of graphite as a lubricant is that it's dry. You're right though, probably not the best idea. I guess I could use a silicone spray.

·
Registered
433 Posts
So you're not talking about the big grey connector that is under the dash that you unplug to remove the doors, Right?

Because mine doesnt have the red locking tab either. I just press with my thumb and they slide right out. Taking off my doors takes 15 seconds each.

If you are talking about the various connectors behind the door panel, may I ask why you would need to disconnect them repeatedly?

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So you're not talking about the big grey connector that is under the dash that you unplug to remove the doors, Right?

Because mine doesnt have the red locking tab either. I just press with my thumb and they slide right out. Taking off my doors takes 15 seconds each.

If you are talking about the various connectors behind the door panel, may I ask why you would need to disconnect them repeatedly?
In the '07 (and probably for a few model years thereafter) those connectors for removing the doors have a red locking slider as well as the grey button. I didn't realize they had the grey button, just thought you unlocked with the slider. Once I found the button it was all good.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Ahhhhhh. Gotcha

·
Registered
102 Posts
I never slide the red slider back in place once I reconnect the harness. Mine is a pain to push the little tab, though. Been thinking of trimming it off. I might try some silicon spray so it's not as tight.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts