Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, maybe someone can help me out. My drivers side outer door handle does not open the door anymore. The lever on the inside of the door still works... For a while I really had to yank on the handle for it to open, but not it finally stopped opening it completely. Anyone have this problem before??!!! 2002 TJ 2.5l 5 speed

·
Registered
433 Posts
yup - easy fix. take the inside panel off and reconnect the latch. I have to do this once a year because it's all rusted in there and I just reconnect with zip ties.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yup - easy fix. take the inside panel off and reconnect the latch. I have to do this once a year because it's all rusted in there and I just reconnect with zip ties.
Cool! I was planning on taking the panel off today to look at it! Now I know what I'm looking for! Thanks buddy!

·
Registered
353 Posts
how to replace the outer paddle? Mines rusted and needs to be changed, I have a new one but not sure how to do it.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Kevin nj! This is not an easy fix!! Lol still trying to fix the Effin thing!! Zip ties are not working and the latch won't hold onto the bar anymore

·
Vendor
6,014 Posts
how to replace the outer paddle? Mines rusted and needs to be changed, I have a new one but not sure how to do it.
When I did mine I pulled the glass out. Some people can do it with the glass in but I didn't want to damage anything. Once the glass is out you can pull the triangular pins from the inside of the door on either side of the handle. Then they push out through the outside of the door. Rinse and repeat! Let me know if you have any specific questions.

-Ryan

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
When I did mine I pulled the glass out. Some people can do it with the glass in but I didn't want to damage anything. Once the glass is out you can pull the triangular pins from the inside of the door on either side of the handle. Then they push out through the outside of the door. Rinse and repeat! Let me know if you have any specific questions. -Ryan
Thanks for the info Ryan. But I think I'm SOL on this one. The clip that hold the threaded bar connected to the handle has busted and will not hold the bar any longer. (Sorry if this is to vague)... Any ideas about rigging it some how? Maybe a clamp??.. Idk but I think I am going to have to take the whole door apart (glass and all) to try and fix it some how..

Again, thanks for the info guys.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Thanks for the info Ryan. But I think I'm SOL on this one. The clip that hold the threaded bar connected to the handle has busted and will not hold the bar any longer. (Sorry if this is to vague)... Any ideas about rigging it some how? Maybe a clamp??.. Idk but I think I am going to have to take the whole door apart (glass and all) to try and fix it some how..

Again, thanks for the info guys.
take the threaded clip to Autozone they sell them in the HELP section. around the other clips for the other end. they are in a blister pack.

or you can go to the dealer and get the clips .

easy fix.

as for how to replace the paddle handle most of them have a couple speed nuts on the back side. just take them off and the out side handle will fall out. then you just reverse the steps to put it back in.

if your getting rust in side the door , you can take the panel off run to the carwash and clean everything really good and then paint it on the inside to protect the inside of the door so with luck it will stop it from eating threw the bottom of your door , you can also use a rust inhibitor to prevent it from starting again.

most people never open the doors up or even think to grease any of the parts in the doors so they wear out pretty bad when they go most of the time. so I would grease everything while you are in there.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts