Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me what this is and how to get it off? It appears to be some type of shoulder bolt but I have nothing to get ahold of to take off my doors. I looked up video's on youtube of how to remove doors and all of them said it would take a torx bit, so I'm not sure if this is aftermarket door parts or what but I'd really like to be able to take my doors off.

Can anyone help me with what kind of tool will work to remove these bolts?

Attachments

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's a circle and it looks attached to the threads, I put a wrench on it to see if I could get it to turn and it seemed real soft, like if I kept putting the squeeze on it, it would break. I soaked them in WD-40 and tried to turn it again with no luck.

·
▄▌ee▐▀
1,791 Posts
It looks like the threads are messed up, but that being said it looks as if the nut is already gone so the only thing keeping the doors on is rust and age maybe?

Where in Kansas are you located?

·
Registered
454 Posts
I had the same problem!!!!!! This is not a nut! It's the bottom of the pin. If you can't get your door off its simply because it's stuck on. There are plenty of forums on here on how to get the doors off. I just opened my door and moved it back and forth while pulling up and it eventually came off.

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
The door pin is friction fit into the upper hinge and when the door is removed it will stay with the upper hinge half, there is nothing more to remove at this point and you door is ready to lift up and off. That being said it may not be as easy as that. If they are bound up try soaking with penetrant and working the door back and forth while lifting up. You can also try gently jacking the door up with a floor jack and a block of wood. Good lick.

·
Read Only
365 Posts
Try a wood block and gently tap from underneath...
Work evenly between upper & lower hinge..
Work door by swinging..maybe (I hate to even suggest.. try a jack w/ block of wood under the door & again gently jack to lift door..Spray the crap out w/ PB Blaster also.. let soak for a day or so as well..

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the info everyone, I messed with it quite a bit last night and you all are right, the nuts are gone. I got one loose last night and hit the other with more wd-40, now I only got one that is really stuck and will try to get it loose tonight. Saturday I put everything I had into lifting up on the door and it didn't budge which is why I thought that little cylinder above the threads needed to be loosened. First time taking the doors off and didn't want to bugger anything up.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Thanks for the info everyone, I messed with it quite a bit last night and you all are right, the nuts are gone. I got one loose last night and hit the other with more wd-40, now I only got one that is really stuck and will try to get it loose tonight. Saturday I put everything I had into lifting up on the door and it didn't budge which is why I thought that little cylinder above the threads needed to be loosened. First time taking the doors off and didn't want to bugger anything up.
When trying to get the door off don't just try to pull up on it. Make sure you take the door strap off and open the door all the way and as you're pulling up move the door back and forth a couple feet.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I had a problem getting my doors off, although I didn't have that problem if you get that off you may need some power tools to get to loose. When I tried getting mine off I took a good hour and didnt budge. I tried several different methods but I had to take it to a mechanic and he had to use a power drill to get the bolt up enough to slide the doors off
Good luck

1 - 16 of 16 Posts