Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, Its almost winter and i'm wondering if anyone has any knowledge on the door locking nuts at the bottom of the door hinge. Do these serve any other purpose than to keep your doors from getting stolen? Do they prevent rust or can I just leave them off year round? Any input would help thanks.

-JEEP WAVE-

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
dougncrew said:
i took mine off in 07 and never put them back on.
x2

·
Registered
30 Posts
I took those off the same day I brought my jeep home and threw them in my toolbox.

Prior to this jeep I had a 90 YJ that never even had them on at all....no issues there after 8 years.

·
Administrator
30,781 Posts
What lock nuts? Oh those things that I lost about a week after purchasing my Jeep. Nah, you don't need them and no they do not prevent someone from stealing your doors. That is what locks are for. All they are good for is giving you a hard time when you want to remove them.

·
Trail Mom
2,864 Posts
Mine have been off for about 4 years now. They're rattling around in the center console somewhere.

·
Banned
1,962 Posts
They serve to keep the doors on in a rollover, which is at its most likely during winter. I leave mine on through the winter. When it starts warming up, and you're getting ready to remove your doors, spray them with some PB Blaster to loosen them up (you should spray out your hinges 2-3X a year anyway), and beware stripping the T50 screws. Otherwise, rock and roll! :) Mark W.

·
Trying to Get Lost
1,080 Posts
They serve to keep the doors on in a rollover, which is at its most likely during winter. I leave mine on through the winter. When it starts warming up, and you're getting ready to remove your doors, spray them with some PB Blaster to loosen them up (you should spray out your hinges 2-3X a year anyway), and beware stripping the T50 screws. Otherwise, rock and roll! :) Mark W.
T50?! DAMMIT! It took me long enough to find a T40 bit for the hard top! Where do I go for a T50?! :banghead:

·
Registered
802 Posts
T50's are pretty common, T55's are a bit harder to find. Most auto parts stores will have them.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Mine have been off for about 4 years now. They're rattling around in the center console somewhere.
LOL.. on the 2011 Wranglers, they added a handy tray under the rear carpet with nice little molded slots just for the purpose of storing all those loose nuts & bolts. :)

·
The Bad Guy
23,234 Posts
T50?! DAMMIT! It took me long enough to find a T40 bit for the hard top! Where do I go for a T50?! :banghead:
Autozone, Pepboys, Harbor Freight....

·
Trail Mom
2,864 Posts
LOL.. on the 2011 Wranglers, they added a handy tray under the rear carpet with nice little molded slots just for the purpose of storing all those loose nuts & bolts. :)
Sounds like a good enough reason to spend $38,000!! ;)

·
Registered
409 Posts
Ya man I leave mine in during the winter, during the summer I leave mine out most of the time because I have my doors off all the time. Having the nuts in does keep someone from walking off with your doors because just like you when the nuts are in removing the door takes more time. I live on a dirt road and dust getting inside the hinge is no issue for me.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts