Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody seen something like this before? It looks like the nuts were undersized and rounded off or maybe it's a factory thing I havent seen before. I also tried just lifting the door off but only ended up rocking the jeep back and forth. Should I try to grind two edges flat and stick a vice grip on it or does someone have a better idea?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Might be better off takin off the hinge before you take a grinder that close to your door and fender. If it messes up the paint on your hinge or somethin, jus bedline them black :D

·
Registered
437 Posts
Looks like the nuts are already off. Door should come off with a little help from a jack and a 2x4 along the bottom of the door.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
JDeBlois said:
Might be better off takin off the hinge before you take a grinder that close to your door and fender. If it messes up the paint on your hinge or somethin, jus bedline them black :D
Thanks for the tip. I actually don't have an air grinder handy. I'd have to hand file it. Honestly I would just as soon save up and replace the hinges all together with chrome or black but I'm having trouble finding the upper hinges that go around the windshield. Any ideas where I can get all four hinges top and bottom for a decent price?

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Curro said:
Looks like the nuts are already off. Door should come off with a little help from a jack and a 2x4 along the bottom of the door.
So you're saying that round nut looking thing that's on there now actually sits under the securing nut but has no retaining purpose?

·
Registered
5,291 Posts
Yea no nuts there try taking a screwdriver and scrape the pin sticking through then rock back and forth and lift

·
Registered
105 Posts
The nuts are already off. Only part of the hinge is threaded the rest is just a shaft that fits into the other part of the hinge. It should just lift right off.

image-3448233774.jpg

·
Registered
437 Posts
So you're saying that round nut looking thing that's on there now actually sits under the securing nut but has no retaining purpose?
Looks like the pin itself. Its a solid pin with a threaded portion on the bottom. Some people actually cut off the threaded part as they have no intentions of ever putting the nuts back on. On one of my doors the threaded part snapped off with the nut when I first tried to remove my doors for the first time.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Wow thanks guys. Those pics make perfect sense now. I still can't lift the door off though. I need to find someone with a floor jack. No telling how long it's been since the doors were last removed. I've only had this since last month.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Correction to that last post. With a little more wiggle wiggle I got the driver door off. About to try passenger side. Once they come off I'm going to coat both pins in WD40 before reassembly and clean out the hinge holes

·
Registered
437 Posts
Wow thanks guys. Those pics make perfect sense now. I still can't lift the door off though. I need to find someone with a floor jack. No telling how long it's been since the doors were last removed. I've only had this since last month.
yeah man, the first time I tried taking my doors off was crazy. The previous owner had NEVER taken them off in over 11 years! I just about almost flipped my Jeep over trying to wrestle with those damn things. A can of PB blaster, a floor jack and a 2x4 along the entire length of the door bottom did the trick. Good luck..

Try coating the pins with anti seize instead before you put them back on...

·
Registered
34 Posts
Of you can't get the other door off, try generously applyong Kroil and some open-close-wiggle-open-jiggle-close dance moves while you're pulling up on the door with both hands under the bottom. +1 to sanding them and the receiver inside (the tunnel or female bit of the hinge) smooth with a very fine grit. I use Valvoline synthetic multi purpose grease on mine at the end of each summer and they glide smoothly on and off each time.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts