Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I have a Wrangler here (well not physically. Not yet) with the paint peeling off the hinges. I'm getting them powder coated to solve this as a favor for a friend. By the looks of it, removing the hinges doesn't look too complex. However, all I can find are DIYs and Youtube videos on how to remove the doors, a few threads about people stuck with jammed bolts but no specific DIY to remove them. I wan't to make sure I don't get a bad surprise so I have a few questions I couldn't find answers to:

1. Is it safe to use an impact wrench? I'm worried about stripping the Torx drive but I read a thread where some guy suggests tapping on the screw head before trying to remove it?

2. What size Torx drive? I don't have the Jeep here and I need to go buy the right socket. Is it a T50 like the one on the hinge pin?

3. WD-40? Loose-nut? Penetrating oil? Carb cleaner? I've seen them all suggested. Anyone have a preference?

Sorry for the noobism on my part and thanks for all the answers you may have of threads you may point me towards.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I took mine off. What I did was got a small flathead screwdriver, and tapped it lightly around the edges to sort of break the paint right around the screw. Then I got the torx head with a large socket, and I think I only had a small amount of trouble with one if the screws. I just had to actually use my body weight to break it loose lol. But I'm not sure what size the torx screw is.. I just went to Home Depot and bought a torx set of 10 for like 10 bucks, and I use every one of them on parts all over my jeep. Best of luck to you!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Mihalchick! Thanks for the answer. I though about buying a set but the 1/2" drive boxes for use with the impact wrench are usually pretty expensive, that's why I was looking for the right size so that I could buy just the one. But I'm guessing the impact wrench is out of the question (???) Thing is I don't own said Jeep (one day I hope :sigh: ) so I don't have much use for Torx drivers day to day but I guess they're never a bad thing to own :)

And you just made me realize the bolt heads are painted... I knew that but I didn't think of that before... That really sucks because I think powder coat will be too thick to paint the screw heads with and I'm going to have to live with scratched paint on the bolts... Good thing it's black, I think it might be less complicated. I could just replace them with black oxide or black zinc plated bolts maybe. Anywaysl, I'l have a couple of weeks to think about that when the Jeep gets here.

Do you know if Chrystler has a tech info website?

Thanks again!

·
Premium Member
695 Posts
It's a T-50

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, here's some news:

I finally managed to get the doors off. I had to remove the passenger door with the hinges still on it. Then I had to heat the hinges with a propane torch to get the pin out of both of them. Lots and lots of fun...

Also I had to destroy the original bushings. Damn things cost $32 a piece at the local dealer and they are really shitty in my opinion. So I ordered a 4-piece set of replacements from blackmagicbrakes.com for $30. Service from this website was exemplary and the parts were shipped that same evening. Really easy to deal with! And no more galvanic corrosion = no more jammed doors.

The hinges are off to powdercoating next wednesday!

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
I have a 2013 JKU and this is exactly why I popped out the hinge bushings on a barely used Jeep and replaced them with the delrin replacements to make sure I don't run into this problem in the future. An ounce of prevention they always say!

Also got mine from blackmagic, great price for a great product.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm super glad to hear that!! I almost thought it was too good to be true! But the delrin made sense to me and I'm saving almost $100 with that product si I took a chance!

Good move on the upgrade!! Talk about some prevention! $30 mod that'll save lots of headaches and probably money in the futur, I can now confirm! The JK I'm working on is a 2007 that was bought used last year and I suspect the doors were never taken off. Now that they're off I might have to take it for a little ride around the block hehe.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts