Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of January's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2016 JKUR, 40k miles. All of my hinges (body side) look like the attached picture. I started noticing faint rust probably around 2018. I was getting recall work done and brought it to the service managers attention who told me to wait and see if it got worse since hinges were tricky and repainting could make them look worse. Made sense to me since it was faint and he told me i had 5yr/60k to address it. Of course, they look like total crap now and I can't get anyone to help me. I've been to three dealerships since August and everyone is now saying that the corrosion warranty is only for body panels and basically has to rust through to be covered. My 3yr/36k expired and I'm SOL. Has anyone on here had any luck dealing the FCA directly to get approval for these to be repaired under the corrosion warranty?

Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
53 Posts
I was told by the sales rep when I bought my JKUWW that these cars rust. The first year I took my car to an oil sprayer (up here there is Krown and Rust Check) and had the car sprayed. I have since done this almost every year since. My rig drips for a week after spraying.

My hinges are the only place were it looked like something could happen so I took my doors off and wiped down the hinges with grease. They were getting really hard to remove so I had to use a car jack to pop the doors off the first time.

You may have to pop your doors off and do the same. While you are at it, you could replace the hinges with aftermarket ones, but grease the new ones up before you reinstall the door. That's what I will do if my hinges start to go.

Hope this helps.
I don't think FCA is going to do anything for you

·
Registered
279 Posts
Have you replaced the door hinge sleeves with durlin bushings yet?

Ya the rust warranty is kind of a pita with wranglers. Looks like the 3yr May of covered it, but the 5yr is for rust holes aka through the metal.

In reality removing that part sanding and repainting or powder coating wouldn’t be too bad.

·
Premium Member
929 Posts
Good idea^^^^ I'd also throw some new sleeves in there that are non corrosive. I think the aluminum sleeve they put corrodes and oxydizes which gets under the paint. Can be found on ebay or quadratec/extreme terrain for more money.... wipe it off good maybe some fluid film all around and in the hinges and wipe off excess and then keep an eye on it. This should help prevent it from becoming worse.. Don't know how to fix

·
WF approved Offical Jeep Account.
1,639 Posts
2016 JKUR, 40k miles. All of my hinges (body side) look like the attached picture. I started noticing faint rust probably around 2018. I was getting recall work done and brought it to the service managers attention who told me to wait and see if it got worse since hinges were tricky and repainting could make them look worse. Made sense to me since it was faint and he told me i had 5yr/60k to address it. Of course, they look like total crap now and I can't get anyone to help me. I've been to three dealerships since August and everyone is now saying that the corrosion warranty is only for body panels and basically has to rust through to be covered. My 3yr/36k expired and I'm SOL. Has anyone on here had any luck dealing the FCA directly to get approval for these to be repaired under the corrosion warranty?

Thanks
I regret to hear of these ongoing concerns with our Jeep, nstasik1981. Although I cannot guarantee any certain outcome here, I would like to look into this further. Please send a private message when you have a second.

Kate
JeepCares

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Though they should, you cant rely on warranties to handle everything. There's just too many factors that contribute to that kind of rust.

I'd suggest removing al your mounts and have them either powder coated or painted. It won't cost you much at all to have done. Maybe $60-$100 is my guess. Certainly worth saving your time going back and forth with Chrysler or the dealerships.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
I would one summer weekend take all the door hinges off, sand and repaint. If you have a 3d printer or know somebody that has some you can print off some door hinge protectors:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2990291

·
Registered
418 Posts
Though they should, you cant rely on warranties to handle everything. There's just too many factors that contribute to that kind of rust.

I'd suggest removing al your mounts and have them either powder coated or painted. It won't cost you much at all to have done. Maybe $60-$100 is my guess. Certainly worth saving your time going back and forth with Chrysler or the dealerships.

Could always make a weekend project out of it as well. Pop'em off, hit'em up with a wire wheel brush and clear all the rust off of them, paint them with a rust inhibiting primer, and a rattle can of duplicolor paint. Wouldn't be too expensive, and it's a good excuse to stand around and drink beer.

Reactions: mcguirev10
1 - 8 of 8 Posts