Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

Got my hard top replaced because it wasnt sitting right and had a gap. I thought that the gap was the cause of a "popping" noise when i went over bumps since the door was hitting the hard top.

Well the new hard top sits right, but i still hear the popping noise...So, I think its time that the rear passenger doors need adjusted.

Its a 2015 4 door. I almost want to say that the rear door is sitting high near the front, and sags (maybe a millimeter or two) on the rear. I think that since the door is high near the front its still hitting the hard top.

Do i need to adjust the hinges or door striker in order to solve this problem. How do i adjust them? Thanks! Ill go snag a pic and upload here.

Here is the door. Notice how its kinda "sucked into" the hard top?

Is it supposed to be scrunched toward the top on the top left?

I think the top left is where its hitting. sounds like its behind my head

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
The problem is usually with the tops and not the doors. If you can avoid touching the adjustment on the doors, which are set at the factory, that would be the best since if you make an adjustment and it's off you're going to get water leaks. The photos you're showing look normal. The noise that you're hearing could be the top not being thoroughly secured. Before you touch the doors I would re-set the top, don't over tighten, and see where you're at.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The problem is usually with the tops and not the doors. If you can avoid touching the adjustment on the doors, which are set at the factory, that would be the best since if you make an adjustment and it's off you're going to get water leaks. The photos you're showing look normal. The noise that you're hearing could be the top not being thoroughly secured. Before you touch the doors I would re-set the top, don't over tighten, and see where you're at.
Okay ill do that this weekend. Its a fresh install from the dealer... so thats what it probably is lol. Ill post back here this next week when i put the top back on

·
Premium Member
6,688 Posts
One way to check is to take that door off and then drive it. If you are still getting that sound you know it is not the door. Also if the door edge was hitting the top you should be able to see that in the paint. The only thing on the door of any vehicle that hits the door frame (including top) is the rubber seal.

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
If it's a metallic type sound it is likely the striker. This was a very common problem on older JKs .. A quick check before adjusting anything is to put a couple wraps of electrical tape around the door striker. If the sound is gone you have found your problem.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i tried the electrical tape thing a while back. it worked for a couple days/week but then it came back again. does that help?

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
The only other opinion I can offer is since it's a new JK and the dealer has already performed a warranty service because of the top, is to let them deal with the adjustments/door situation if there is one. The reason I'm saying this is because if you do some type of adjustment and there's an issue such as water leaks, the dealer might point to you. If they do it and there's a problem, it's on them. Hopefully, it will work out for you.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
It looks likes its closing to tight. Just adjust the door latch catch on the inside of the door frame. It's only two torx bolts and very easy to do. Mark off with tape or marker or what ever on the inside so you remember it's original location. Loosen them slightly and tap it out a mm or two at a time. Tighten them back up. Close door, if alignment is good. Then leave if not rinse and repeat.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks all for the replies. For now, it sounds like the hard top was too tight or whatever. it was taken off, put back on, and no more popping noise. If it comes back, ill do the door striker adjustment, and tap it out away from the inside by a mm or two. thanks!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts