Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I have a few quick questions about my door hinges. They are starting to show rust, and bubble and flake on both the hinge that connects to the door, and the hinge that goes to the body. I am torn between taking them off, sanding them down and rhino lining or stone guarding them, or to just bite it and purchase a whole new set of hinges. I am actually shocked at how expensive the new kits are, and there are very few options that I can find that offer black. I do not want plain stainless at all. Ideally I'd like to go new, so I don't have to worry about messing up my paint work putting the hinges back on, but don't know if you guys and gals can suggest anywhere besides the normal quadretec and such to find them. Also, do I want black stainless? Or black powder coated stainless? I live in New England, so she will see some road salt from time to time, unfortunately. And, if I do have to do it myself, is there any suggestion on paint type to use, or if I need to get a gasket of some sort for where the pin goes in and the hinges rest on each other??
Thanks a lot

·
Registered
4 Posts
My 08 JKU was doing the same thing. Galvanic corrosion is the cause. I removed them, had them sand blasted, and powder coated black. Great look on our diabolic yellow. Believe the powder coated aluminum hinges will last longer. Cost me 40 total when having my wheels powder coated at the same time.

·
Registered
757 Posts
They make Derlin Hinge Pin Bushings, yes.
Black one is Derlin. Metal rod is the tool they sell. (Derlin is a heavy plastic-ish material)

Attachments

1 - 3 of 3 Posts