Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Couldn't find anything searching so here we are. What does everyone put in their door hinges before winter so its not so hard to get your doors off again in the spring? I know it was hard enough to get the doors off for the first time from factory so I don't even want to imagine what its going to be like after a long winter with the Jeep sitting outside.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Some people like a heavy grease, I think most (myself included) go with a lithium based lubricant. Easy to find in auto or bike shops.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Just did the Delrin hinge liner last weekend and all set for the salt and snow.

·
Registered
233 Posts
How bad, if at all, were they when you pulled them off?
My Jeep is only 5 months old and I bought their tool as well. Just a little tap with a hammer and they came off easy.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Pick up a can of Never-Seez ( seize)
Better than that is the marine grade Never Seez. Very small amount on the hinge pin and you'll be set for many years to come. Won't run off, impervious to road salt... great for other applications also. Trust me on this one. Look for it at home depot, etc. The Marine Grade might be easier to find and purchase online though. ;)

http://www.neverseezproducts.com/marine.htm

·
Registered
233 Posts
How bad, if at all, were they when you pulled them off?
Just want to clarify something, if you were referring to the doors , they came off very easily.
And for the hinge liner, my Jeep is only 5 months old without any corrosion to the hinges and I bought their hinge liner removal tool. It only takes a few tap on the removal with a hammer and the liners came off fairly easily. I doubt it will be that easy if I waited after the winter.
I also spray some WD40 into the hinges ahead of the removal process.
Also, some people had great success with a 9mm long socket instead of buying their liner removal tool.

·
Bella's Jeeper
1,232 Posts

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
I replaced the bushings. No issues come spring. I do have to grease them periodically sometimes they will squeak and groan like a old bar door when wet. Grease solves that. I just use whatever I have in the closest grease gun.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Just want to clarify something, if you were referring to the doors , they came off very easily.
And for the hinge liner, my Jeep is only 5 months old without any corrosion to the hinges and I bought their hinge liner removal tool. It only takes a few tap on the removal with a hammer and the liners came off fairly easily. I doubt it will be that easy if I waited after the winter.
I also spray some WD40 into the hinges ahead of the removal process.
Also, some people had great success with a 9mm long socket instead of buying their liner removal tool.
It works great.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts