Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a 2007 Jeep unlimited that I purchased last week. The doors have never been taken off, in fact the rear door were hardly ever used, I had to spray the crap out of the hinges with wd40 just to get the rear doors to move decently. My problem is, there is NO way the doors are coming off in the front or the rear. Of course I removed the bolts under the hinges. Is there a trick other than spending $400 on black hinges or $850 for stainless steel ones???

·
Registered
4,136 Posts
Welcome to the forum. There are plenty of ways to get that door off. You could try placing a shoulder up under the window opening and see if you can lift it off while working the door opening and closing.

I have used this trick on a 2008 JKU that had never had the doors removed.

Bob K.

·
Registered
992 Posts
Iv seen people place a jack on some blocks of wood and jack it upward. Just make sure of two things
1) you don't dent the bottom of the door
2 you make sure you have a friend holding the door so it doesn't give all at once and fly upwards.

Once you get the door off for the first time, it should be much easier. Once they are off you can even clean out the inside with a long sanding attachment on a dremel. Not too much to where they are week, but just enough so they can come off smoothly.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
We just took one of mine off the other day. Some wd40 and "wiggle" while lifting. Had the door in the open position about 90 degrees from the Jeep. Took a bit of effort.
Clean out the hinge like mentioned, it will be pretty cruddy in there. Grease the pins before you put them back on.

·
Registered
33,936 Posts
On a club members 08 we used a wood shank put it under the hinges and hit it with a hammer 2 hits per hing at a time till they came loose. had to do it to 3 of the 4 doors and used 7 wood shanks to get it done.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
I had one door that was a PITA to get off. Try shooting WD40 or a silicon spray up from the bottom once you take out the bolts, while lifting up have somebody spray from the top too. Then open & close the door several times and let it rest for 5 minutes. Then use a jack and a 12" 2x4, place the wood under the door and jack it up, this really is best done with two people as already stated if it breaks free you might drop the door. Mine finally broke free and I was able to lift it out. The liner inside the hinge was trashed.

The problem isn't so much the hinge itself its the aluminum liner has worn out. Get yourself a set of DuPont Delrin liners to replace those aluminum ones and you're doors will go off and on like a hot knife through butter.
TMR Customs Jeep Delrin Door Hinge Liners - Fits 4 Door Jeep JK

1 - 6 of 6 Posts