Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw this in a parking lot this past week. I know this is an on-going issue with the Wranglers, and I'm looking to prevent this from happening to my '15. I have taken the doors off and lubricated the bushings with white lithium spray grease, but was wondering if any forum members know of further steps that can be taken to fend off the rust and corrosion. Thank you!

Attachments

·
Registered
751 Posts
I saw this in a parking lot this past week. I know this is an on-going issue with the Wranglers, and I'm looking to prevent this from happening to my '15. I have taken the doors off and lubricated the bushings with white lithium spray grease, but was wondering if any forum members know of further steps that can be taken to fend off the rust and corrosion. Thank you!
I saw a post about this earlier this week. This has nothing to do with the bushings or grease. Apparently the hinges are aluminum and the body is steal so it is a metallurgic reaction that can only be prevented by adding a gasket between the hinge and body. Saw somewhere that some of the 2015s may have it.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Yep it's galvanic corrosion (two different metals in contact with each other).

I had the problem starting on my 2012 door hinges so I touched up the bubbling paint the best I could and then inserted a paper thin gasket between the two surfaces and then installed some Rugged Ridge stainless steel powder coated door hinge covers to dress them up. I like the matte black contrast that's taking shape on my jeep.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts