Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My door hinges are absolutely terrible. They are corroding and there is no longer paint on them. I need to get them replaced. Dealer will not help in the matter and their estimate was 2200$ for them to do it. I plan on doing them myself and buying aftermarket ones. Hoping to keep it under 1000$. Can anyone help me out on where to look for aftermarket hinges. I also am unable to slide the doors off no matter how much WD-40 i use. So i need the full set of door hinges and mounts.

·
Build Thread Queen
13,193 Posts
Not sure about the mounts, but quadratec sells replacement hinges. They have them in a couple of different finishes, too.

Before you install the new hinges, just make sure you prime the inside before you install them on your jeep to avoid the galvanic corrosion.

There's also a company making gaskets that go in between, but I can't remember who it was...

·
Registered
74 Posts
Not sure about the mounts, but quadratec sells replacement hinges. They have them in a couple of different finishes, too.

Before you install the new hinges, just make sure you prime the inside before you install them on your jeep to avoid the galvanic corrosion.

There's also a company making gaskets that go in between, but I can't remember who it was...
Star, if you remember who sold those hinge gaskets send me a PM...

·
Registered
230 Posts
Trim paint!

My door hinges are absolutely terrible. They are corroding and there is no longer paint on them. I need to get them replaced. Dealer will not help in the matter and their estimate was 2200$ for them to do it. I plan on doing them myself and buying aftermarket ones. Hoping to keep it under 1000$. Can anyone help me out on where to look for aftermarket hinges. I also am unable to slide the doors off no matter how much WD-40 i use. So i need the full set of door hinges and mounts.
My hinges started to corrode on my 2012 JKU Sahara very early. The dealer had them done and warrantee covered it. Just done last fall.

If you remove your own, remember you have to use a sharp box cutter or something and trim around the hinges so when hinges separate the paint won't peel off the door! :lmao:

Good Luck!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Does anyone have pictures of the rusty hinges? Are we talking all out rust, through the metal? On a 2012?

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
$1000?? LoL! Just order a set of stainless steel hinges from Q-tec or somewhere.....under $100 bucks and your good to go! Thats just crazy!

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
$1000?? LoL! Just order a set of stainless steel hinges from Q-tec or somewhere.....under $100 bucks and your good to go! Thats just crazy!
Wouldn't someone need to replace all of the door & body hinges, plus the hood hinges? That would add up to >$400 for a 2dr. As mentioned, Quadratec has stainless steel hinges. I'd imagine you'd still want/need to treat the body surface with some sort of primer or silicone or Plastidip or bedliner as well? Plus, OP might as well put some Delrin bushings in the new hinges for another $50-100.

Obviously still cheaper than what the OP's dealer quoted, but it's out of pocket for something that shouldn't be occurring. OP must be out of warranty, thus stainless replacement hinges are probably a good bet.

-----

Here's the thing (particularly for those who are having corrosion issues within the first couple years, and those of us planning to purchase in the near future) -- isn't this something that could potentially affect all JK & JKU owners? Have they all used the same aluminum hinges that are installed before paint so there is no buffer between the two dissimilar metals, thus tempting galvanic corrosion? Or are some JKs & JKUs getting hinges that are treated before assembly, and thus not suffering corrosion; and some people just unlucky in that they did not get pre-treated hinges? If this is a wide-spread problem, are owners simply ignoring it?

Who in their right mind would want to break the factory paint seal on a brand new Wrangler just to try and prime or paint the hinges/body or replace all the hinges as a preventative measure? Then you have to reassemble and hope you don't end up with water leaks because you can't line things up properly. The reasonable course of action seems to be wait until the corrosion starts before doing anything, but then you might be out of warranty. And then there are people who have their hinges "fixed" by the dealer (or contracted body shop) only to have the issue reappear. The worse the corrosion (and subsequent rust on the body), the more difficult it is to reverse the problem.

Seems to me that anyone buying a new Wrangler would stipulate that the dealer must remove the hinges and treat the metal on both the hinge and body, then reassemble before taking delivery. But obviously that's not practical. Doubt many dealers would agree to do that for free. They will insist you wait and see if the bubbling occurs while still under warranty.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
After getting mounts and hinges for 4 doors and new bushing it ain't going to be 100 bucks lol I want it to look somewhat decent so black I was going to go with black steel hinges or paint the stainless black. Either way I figured the cheapest it will be is around 500-600 for all the parts and for it to not act up again. As for preventative measures my friend has some sort of a plastic sealer that I'll be placing between the hinge and body. Will post pics of the project when it's done. Waiting until warmer weather incase I'm stuck with the doors off haha

·
Registered
88 Posts
My previous Jeep had the bubbling on the hinges that indicated corrosion under the paint. I removed them, had them stripped and powdercoated, then re-installed on the Jeep. I think it cost me $150 and about 3 days while they were at the powdercoater.
Re-aligning was simple. There's no paint under them, so just make sure to line them up with the bare spot. Or, in my case, I primed the bare spot by taping it off, but that still left me with the outline of the hinge plates to line things up.
Doors and hood went right back where they were before, and there were no leaks.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
My previous Jeep had the bubbling on the hinges that indicated corrosion under the paint. I removed them, had them stripped and powdercoated, then re-installed on the Jeep. I think it cost me $150 and about 3 days while they were at the powdercoater.
Re-aligning was simple. There's no paint under them, so just make sure to line them up with the bare spot. Or, in my case, I primed the bare spot by taping it off, but that still left me with the outline of the hinge plates to line things up.
Doors and hood went right back where they were before, and there were no leaks.
Grimscale-
What year was your Jeep, and when did you first notice the bubbling?

·
Registered
1,115 Posts

·
Build Thread Queen
13,193 Posts
For what it's worth, they started adding gaskets behind the hinges mid-year 2015 builds. I don't know the exact date, so I can't tell you individually if you are covered or not, but at least some of you new owners shouldn't have anything to worry about.

I know I've personally cost Chrysler about $10k in getting our hinges on our two jeeps fixed. One rental bill alone was $1700 (for 38 days, UGH!). I'm guessing the squeaky wheel finally got the grease and they finally got tired of having to pay for these repairs when it is so simple to fix.

Things to keep in mind if you're having this repaired under warranty:

Make sure they TAKE THE HINGES OFF! First repair just fixed the cosmetics, even though they said they were taking them off and priming behind.

Make sure the corrosion hasn't worked its way into the doors/hood. For Mike's second repair, the corrosion had eaten into the door skins, so they had to fix that, too.

Make sure they fix ALL the hinges at the same time. Don't let them tell you they will only fix the ones showing signs of corrosion. The others will corrode, it's just a matter of time and trust me, you won't want to deal with this a second time.

Mike's hinges are completely fixed. I STILL have an issue with two of mine that is going to be fixed as soon as we have a stretch of nice weather. But my jeep came home from the first shop with chips and scratches that are now having to be fixed by the second shop. It's just :atomic:!

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Star-
How did you find out about the gaskets? Archer? This is the first I've heard of it. About time, right?

·
Build Thread Queen
13,193 Posts
Star-
How did you find out about the gaskets? Archer? This is the first I've heard of it. About time, right?
Archer? Archer who? :whistling:

Actually, it's about five years too late! :facepalm:

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
I haven't noticed any corrosion yet, but is it only visible after removing the hinges? I have the best bodyshop guy i know right around the corner, he also does the repairs for my Jeep Dealer, so I am not too worried.

·
Build Thread Queen
13,193 Posts
I haven't noticed any corrosion yet, but is it only visible after removing the hinges? I have the best bodyshop guy i know right around the corner, he also does the repairs for my Jeep Dealer, so I am not too worried.
No, it is not only when you remove the hinges, although it starts there first.

I was a dumb :mooning: and forgot to take my own pictures of Mike's hinges in Florida when they were really bad. Then it was fully bubbling up out from underneath the paint. At that point I thought it was just rust. Dealer didn't tell us about galvanic corrosion, just that they would fix it. I learned about the galvanic corrosion here on the forum.

If you go out in good sunlight or use a good flashlight, check the seams where the hinges attach to the body. What you're looking for are tiny, almost pin head sized bubbles or imperfections in the paint. Sometimes before you can see a bubble you can see a rusty brown color seeping through the seam.

I'll take a look through my photostream and see if I can find some of the ones I took of my jeep before it was fixed. If I can find them, I'll post them.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Ok, if your looking for the "cheapest" solution, take them off, sand 'em and paint 'em to suit your taste. That is probably what I would do anyway. Most folks don't want to actually, you know, put any "elbow grease" into their rigs: "Just buy it and bolt it on" seems to be the prevailing school of thought on things these days...if your motivated enough to actually do it, go for it!

After getting mounts and hinges for 4 doors and new bushing it ain't going to be 100 bucks lol I want it to look somewhat decent so black I was going to go with black steel hinges or paint the stainless black. Either way I figured the cheapest it will be is around 500-600 for all the parts and for it to not act up again. As for preventative measures my friend has some sort of a plastic sealer that I'll be placing between the hinge and body. Will post pics of the project when it's done. Waiting until warmer weather incase I'm stuck with the doors off haha

1 - 20 of 43 Posts