Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Rock-Rubber
16,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my door latch driver side has been having issues with not popping back to flat when I shut my door for a while now. just recently it decided to break a little more and it is now loose for about 1/2 inch of movement, it bothers me of course. I want to fix it. of course searched WF and the domain name on google but wasnt coming up with the thread. I have read it before, it details the removal of the door panel inside and fixing the latch. but I cant find it. if anyone has any tips or remember the name of the thread I would appreciate it!

·
Registered
299 Posts
Just fixed this on mine this afternoon. Likely just the roll pin in the hinge on the door handle has dropped down or is broken. Pull the door panel off, there are two screws to remove the exterior handle and a little plastic keeper you need to pop loose on the linkage. Once out it should be obvious what is broken/out of place. I used a screwdriver to push the roll pin back into alignment so I could tap it back into position. Once it was back I used a sheet metal screw that was just a hair too big to fit into the hollow roll pin and screwed that into the top of the pin, the screw will keep the pin from ever slipping down again.

·
Whiskey for my men...
4,100 Posts
That's a different setup than my 98 TJ. I just had to fix my driver door latch. Mine attaches with two stepped bars, one on the front and back of the latch. Talk about a pita to put back together. Two screws sounds so much easier. Hope GoldenSahara has the later design.

·
Registered
299 Posts
That's a different setup than my 98 TJ. I just had to fix my driver door latch. Mine attaches with two stepped bars, one on the front and back of the latch. Talk about a pita to put back together. Two screws sounds so much easier. Hope GoldenSahara has the later design.
DO you have full or half doors? I have no idea if there is a difference in the door latch, but if so that could explain it.

·
Rock-Rubber
16,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Half doors. And I will see. Hopefully I can dig into it sometime soon. It's in the Long list of things to do hahaha. I suspect it's the roll pin because if the progression of sticking and now being loose.

·
Registered
3,197 Posts
Mine has stuck in the halfway position occasionally ever since I had to replace one of those brittle plastic thingamabogs. Just following along to find a fix.

·
Rock-Rubber
16,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
BLK00TJ said:
Mine has stuck in the halfway position occasionally ever since I had to replace one of those brittle plastic thingamabogs. Just following along to find a fix.
I'll def let you know if I find anything.

·
Rock-Rubber
16,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The tab on the spring that goes over the latch wasn't making contact on the rod part of the mechanism. Causing the play. When I tried to turn the metal tab back over onto the rod but it broke immediately. Go figure. 12 year old spring. So I'm gona try to order a spring. Or tear one out of a junk yard. In the mean time I ran a loop of paracord around the rod and then up to a screw for the grab back backing. And tied it. Then twisted the cord til it got really tight. Then used needle nose pliers to pull it over the screw and then pushed it up the threads. The handle is now about 50% harder to pull and open. And there is maybe 10% of the play left. But it's better. And will do the job til I find a spring.

The panel was easy to get out. Some styles of window insert tabs turn 90 degrees then pull out. Stock usually pull right out. Do those last. Start with the little torx screws there 3 or 5. I only had 2 of my my 3 For the tabs by the uppers that have the circle head on the outside. Use a screw driver to start and pliers to pull. Other tabs just get one by one with a screw driver.

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts