Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My step-son recently got his driver's license and his dad bought him a 2006 Wrangler TJ. It is in good shape except that water leaks in around the doors when it rains. His dad took it to the Jeep dealership and they charged him $500 to replace the door seals. They picked up the Jeep yesterday and it rained last night. We checked and sure enough, there was water in the Jeep again. I guess his dad will be having a word with the dealership.

·
Registered
15,658 Posts
Half or full doors and if half what type uppers?

Soft or hard top?

My half doors with sliders leaked with both factory soft and hard top
My full doors never leaked

Fortunately the 98 with half doors was factory bed lined inside from day one with no carpets or rust when water gathered but since switching to full doors no more leak

The 04 rubi and YJ were both always full doors and never leaked

Are your Mucket seals in place

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
397 Posts
Did they change the cowl drain in the 06?
I know on the older TJ's if that got plugged it would cause water to go into cab. on the passenger side floor.

·
Registered
4,109 Posts
Have the dealer check for TSB's on his VIN.

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Half or full doors and if half what type uppers?

Soft or hard top?

My half doors with sliders leaked with both factory soft and hard top
My full doors never leaked

Fortunately the 98 with half doors was factory bed lined inside from day one with no carpets or rust when water gathered but since switching to full doors no more leak

The 04 rubi and YJ were both always full doors and never leaked

Are your Mucket seals in place

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Jeep has a hard top with full doors. I will have to check to see if it has the mucket seal.

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Did they change the cowl drain in the 06?
I know on the older TJ's if that got plugged it would cause water to go into cab. on the passenger side floor.
I took the cowl cover off and flushed out the drains with a water hose. The drains are not clogged and not holding water.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hey I’m having the same drama you are. I’m a little further down the roads than you and may have just fixed it so I will share what I know.
My TJ is a 06 and was a soft top first, I bought it with hardtop and full doors, I had the leaking from day one and changed the door seals, then I realised that someone in the passed had added all there own “seals” around the door frame and hardtop. I removed all the foam and crappy rubber they had added to get back to factory and it still leaked (I was hoping that the new seals would fill the gaps like manufactures spec), so I then added low profile waterproof self adhesive rubber strips inside the door jam and on the lip of the inner tub/step area, my thinking on this was that if the water found it harder to run up and over the rubber it would run out.
So far so good it doesn’t seem to have leaked in the last few very heavy rain storms, if I have further problems then I will replace the roof header seal and add a runner strip there so there is no gap between the roof and windscreen, currently my hardtop has a gap on the corners that acts as a rain channel which is making it worse.
Good luck

1 - 7 of 7 Posts