Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
JKU - lately i've been just taking the front doors off. i had to jump out of the jeep the other day to quickly get something out of the back and the doors were locked. i couldn't hit the button on the door that wasn't there. I tried pressing the unlock button on the key but since it was in the ignition and running it didn't work (i assume this is a safety feature). I ended up taking the key out, unlocking and then restarting the jeep. annoying for a quick access issue.

i know i can completely turn off the auto-lock feature but i like it for when the doors are on (i switch doors on/off frequently). anyone know a trick to solve the quick access ?

·
Registered
10,420 Posts
anyone know a trick to solve the quick access ?
Since your front doors are off, can't you just reach in/thru and open the rear door with the inside handle?

Years ago, back in another century, that's what we did before power locks. :D

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Since your front doors are off, can't you just reach in/thru and open the rear door with the inside handle?

Years ago, back in another century, that's what we did before power locks. :D
i simplified my story a bit.. what really happened was i was driving down the road with the top down and front doors off. it started raining so i pulled over quickly to put the top up. realized the top was stuck behind the brake light over the tire and i needed to open the rear door but it was locked. #doorless #topless :)

·
Registered
801 Posts
you can always unplug the wiring harness for the back doors, with no power the auto door locks won't work

·
Registered
10,420 Posts
i simplified my story a bit.. what really happened was i was driving down the road with the top down and front doors off. it started raining so i pulled over quickly to put the top up. realized the top was stuck behind the brake light over the tire and i needed to open the rear door but it was locked. #doorless #topless :)
Are you talking about the rear side doors, or the tailgate? I question that, because you now brought up the brake light.

If the tailgate, there is a mod documented, somewhere, showing how to add an inside pull cable with a T handle, which will unlock the tailgate.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Are you talking about the rear side doors, or the tailgate? I question that, because you now brought up the brake light.

If the tailgate, there is a mod documented, somewhere, showing how to add an inside pull cable with a T handle, which will unlock the tailgate.
my issue this week was the tailgate. but even with a t-handle - with the soft top down i don't know that it would be any easier to reach that than to simply turn off the jeep and remove the key.

but a good mod to know, i'll try to find it here on the forum.
thanks.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
I guess the question boils down to "How does one unlock the tailgate with the doors off and the ignition running?"

1 - turn auto lock off
2 - get a non-chipped key made and carry it on one of those quick detachable key rings

Otherwise, there was a thread in 2013 about the same thing and I don't think there's a solution that's been found since.

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/u...jeep-is-running-and-doors-are-off-246226.html

1 - 7 of 7 Posts