Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to take off my doors I have the bolt unscrewed from the bottom. But when I go to lift up on the doors they do not move?

Is there anything special I have to do to get them to come out??
And any suggestions on what to do?

·
zombie & ninja slayer
2,276 Posts
Spray lube on the hinge, open and close it as you lift

·
Premium Member
1,175 Posts
I posted this in another thread asking the same question. Hope it helps.

I too had trouble with taking my full doors off for the first time. I had to resort to using a pneumatic floor jack to help in the process. However, I didn't place the jack under the door. My method was a little different.

Note: I'm assuming here that you have sprayed the hinge and pins with your lubricant of choice.

Open the door just enough to allow for it to raise up and clear the door surrounds when it is able to lift out of the hinges. It doesn't have to be 90 degrees. Only open an couple inches or so.

Loosen the nuts on the lower door pins a couple turns only. Do not remove them. You can remove the upper nuts.

Place the jack below the bottom hinge of the door and use a piece of wood vertically between the lower door pin nut and jack. I used a length of closet rod.

Using the jack slowly apply upwards pressure to the nut until it breaks free. Once it moves apply more lubricant.

Lower the jack. If the door remains in place and does not fall back down swing the door open and closed to work the lubricant down into the hinge.

Repeat as necessary until the door moves freely up and down in it's hinge without using the jack. Now remove the hinge pin nuts.

You should now be able to lift the door up and down while swinging it open and closed. Do this and remove the door.

Check your pins for surface rust. My door pins had some and I removed it with some fine (400) Emory cloth. I also ran a soft nylon pipe cleaner through the door hinge a couple of times.

·
Motorized toy collector
3,763 Posts
Many usefull tips and threads here and elsewhere about removing TJ doors.

I thought mine would never come off the first time i removed them many years ago.

But the best tip I learned was about putting them back on. A wipe of grease on the door pins.

Remember this, and you will never fight them again. Every year since, mine just lift right off.

I just pulled my full doors off for the summer. :)

·
Registered
337 Posts
I pulled mine today for the first time. I sprayed and worked them back and forth with no luck. I used a floor jack and a 2x6 on top. Get the wood as close as possible to the hinge along the bottom of the door and jack slowly. The door lifted right up and I pulled it off easily. I was afraid to use it on the pin and bending it. Not sure I love it yet on the road but it was nice at a slow cruise, just need a place to put my arm instead of flapping like a chicken every few minutes.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I took mine off for the first time today too. I just sprayed a bunch of PB Blaster on the hinges and pulled up while opening and closing them. The driver's side door only took a couple of tries but the passenger door took a little more effort. But I would pull and then spray some PB Blaster. I had the worst trouble with the screws to relocate the mirrors. I was trying to use the Rugged Ridge one and the screws were all stripped. I tried drilling one out and then using an extractor on it and the extractor broke as soon as I tried to turn it. I finally managed to get the driver's side mounted before work tonight.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Used a motorcycle floor Jack and a piece of wood...worked wonders. But let's just say when she breaks, she breaks fast. Recommend you have a second person holding the door so it doesn't go bouncing off the floor like mine did

·
Registered
128 Posts
mine took a little elbow grease to get off the first time. Ive figured the closer to the hinges you lift the easier it comes off, usually. Some are just stuck on, try using a bunch of different angles is probably a good idea and opening and closing them when removing them. Make sure once they are off you put some sort of grease on, i used white lithium and havent had any trouble with them since

·
Registered
600 Posts
after trying all of the above awhile back without success, I yelled like a crazed maniac "come off you stupid mother f-rs" and yanked on them. they came off. some might say that the pb blaster finally worked. I like to think the Jeep gods granted me super human strength for a short while

1 - 10 of 10 Posts