Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I know it's getting close to the cold months so not as many people are lucky enough to have quality temps to remove their doors (shout out to the West Coast area).

That being said, I was thinking about how it is sometimes difficult, for me at least, to find a place to grab on the outside of the door. I mostly have the hardest time removing/putting back on the front doors since they are heavier (and if I'm being honest it's probably bc I'm a girl). SO! I decided to look on amazon/ebay for one of those heavy duty suction cup handles that are designed to transport glass for windshields and the like. Like these:

Double Suction Cup Dent Puller Glass Handle Repair Tool

They test for at least 175 lbs. Just wondering what you all would think of having this placed on the outside of the door as extra insurance/leverage during the process. Not sure if this has been brought up before. The search engine on here, as I'm sure y'all know, can be finnicky with wording

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
easiest way to lift anything is from the bottom. straight uo. any kind of handle adds leverage, moves the effort off centre, which makes it harder.

not to mention that suction attachment adds weight.

suck it up... just git 'er done eh.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well removal really isn't terrible. Really more the transport or putting back on. I guess you're right. I'm just being lazy :D :angel:

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
well removal really isn't terrible. Really more the transport or putting back on. I guess you're right. I'm just being lazy :D :angel:
yeah. lining it up is a bitch... maybe a 2 person job.
transport is all about planning. short distance. eliminate bending.

I hang mine from factory hinges bolted to a stud. never have to bend over
not a girl but I am 60.

·
Registered
497 Posts
I put my windows down then reach in from the outside and grab the handle inside and lift. I support from the outside by the base of the mirror on the front doors and the back doors I just grab the door above the hinges. I would be afraid of the suction cups not holding even though they are designed for lifting.

·
Registered
8,377 Posts
Grab the door on the bottom with one hand, then grab the door on the corner by the handle with the other and remove it. No dont grab the handle it self, grab the corner of the actual door. If the door is too sharp and hurts your hand or is just cold then buy a pair of winter gloves.. it will be a better investment.

As far as storing the doors goes, roll down the windows, have 2 pipes right next to eachother wrapped in something soft like a piece of carpet and just slide the doors in there through the window hole.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts