Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So simple Google searching reveals that having trouble removing the doors on TJs, especially if they haven't been removed in a while/ever, is far from rare. I've run into it as well, but to a much harsher degree than I've seen others. I got the driver's side door off with just a bit of work, but the passenger side feels like it might as well be welded on.

I've hit it with PB blaster over the past couple weeks with no visible change in the situation. Moving onto the next stage of fixing it, I started trying to use my jack to my advantage. First pushing up on the bottom bolt as I've seen others do, and then pushing up on the door close to the hinges. The top bolt seems to be nice and loose, but the bottom one looks like it's starting to actually widen the holes it's screwed into as I can see a bit of white against the hinge mount that I think was covered before and the bolt hasn't moved up but a small bit while the upper bolt has made great progress.

So to avoid trying more and straight up ripping the hinge out of the tub, I think I'm going to unscrew it, pull the door out of the top one, and try to fix it while it's off the Jeep. Anybody know what size Torx bit it uses? Looks like it might be a bit over T30 as that's the largest I have and it's just a little loose in it.

Also, anyone have any thoughts as to any different steps I should try next before unscrewing it?

Thanks!

·
Registered
171 Posts
If I understand you correctly the hinge on the body is moving. That sounds like too much pressure with the jack to me.

I'd stick with the PB Blaster, gentle persistent pressure with the jack, and time.

A word of caution however. With the jack once the door gets loose it will come off with purpose and although it's not necessarily heavy it can be very awkward to handle.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yup, you got it right. Like it's starting to pull the hinge out of the body. You think I should put some pressure on then just leave it for like half an hour? The videos I've seen of people using a jack to help have them doing a pretty constant, little bit at a time jacking up of it.

And right, I'm ready to catch/support the door when it pops. Always a good reminder though!

·
Registered
106 Posts
Try tapping on it too. With something like a rubber mallet that won't damage anything. Keep working it with the pb. You'll get it.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Don't jack it anymore. Just like you said pull the bottom hinge, and then free it up off the jeep. Mine did the exact same thing, and I just un bolted the hinge. It was easier to break it free when it was off without damaging anything with a jack. I was able to spay it, and tap the hinge off the bolt,and clean it up and reuse it.

·
Registered
665 Posts
To add. I had to drill out my torx. There is a backing plate inside the door frame behind the hinge, it will fall off. I then heated what was left of the bolts and removed them with Vise grips. That is worst case. I had to replace the torx bolts. No big deal.

·
Registered
519 Posts
I had to do the jack ordeal also. While I had pressure up on mine I wiggled it back and forth very carefully and that popped it off. The torx bolts are lock tighted so heat will definitely be your friend to get them off but you have to be careful not to burn the paint which is pretty tricky also

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys.

To add. I had to drill out my torx. There is a backing plate inside the door frame behind the hinge, it will fall off.
I'm thinking I can just take the tub-side plate off and try to hammer it out while the other side is still attached to the door. How difficult is that side?

I had to do the jack ordeal also. While I had pressure up on mine I wiggled it back and forth very carefully and that popped it off.
Unfortunately I've been doing that. Watched a few videos where people did it (albeit with JKs) but to no avail. Seems like the mounted plate wants to give way before the bolt does.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Once you finally get it off. take sandpaper to all the pins and put some antiseize on the pins. The next time will be smooth as silk.

·
Registered
437 Posts
I had to do the jack ordeal also. While I had pressure up on mine I wiggled it back and forth very carefully and that popped it off. The torx bolts are lock tighted so heat will definitely be your friend to get them off but you have to be careful not to burn the paint which is pretty tricky also
X2 here, wiggle it back and forth with moderate pressure from the jack. It will come off and when it does, be ready to grab it so it does not crash into something.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Out of curiosity, did you jack it up on the door by the hinge, or under the hinge bolt itself?

·
Registered
339 Posts
Tapping with a hammer with be more productive than a slow constant pressure from the jack. I had this same problem when I first purchased my TJ. Used penetrant for a few days with no luck on the pass side. I backed out the nut and tapped on the socket with the hammer so not to damage the threads. The pin slowly worked its way up and I was able to pull up while swinging the door open/close to work it out the rest of the way.
You may be past this point since the hinge has already loosened itself from the tub.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the tips everyone.

So I have an update and a very strange addition to my issue. While working at it again today, I took note of the hinge as I was moving the door back and forth and found that the screw/pin wasn't moving with the door like it does on all the other hinges, as though it came the pin came separated from the hinge inside. So I got a Torx screw that fit the hing (T40 in case anyone else was wondering) and unscrewed the tub side of it, after which the door came off nice and easy.

So the pin is actually stuck to the bottom half off the hinge. As I swing that back and forth the pin (from the bottom up to the head) moves with it. Now that it's off the jeep I've tried hammering the bottom part of the hinge off to no avail. I'm thinking if I'm successful I'll then have 3 pieces - the top hinge still screwed into the door, the bottom hinge that's supposed to screw into the tub, and the pin itself.

Thoughts on anything else I should try to separate it, and if I do what my next steps should be? Just keep the pin separate and slide it in whenever I want to put the door on?

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
The hinge fills with tiny road grit which cuts tiny grooves into which more tiny grit packs every year. Mine had never been off either. I applied just bit of lift with 2x4s to the bottom of the door. fulcrum, lever, lift enough to raise the Jeep a couple of inches. Then I used a 2.5# ball peen hammer.... and I had to hit it HARD before it budged. Several more hard hits, maintaining the lever, fulcrum lift and is was up a half inch.

I recommend duct tape to protect the paint. Alternate, top bolt, lower bolt. Be ready to catch the door. Oil helps. Swing the door periodically.

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
I'd bolt it back onto the Jeep. Or bolt to something real solid.

·
Registered
6,886 Posts
Tie a rope around the top of the door frame and the roll bar. When the pins clear it is heavy and you may drop it

·
Registered
16 Posts
I had this problem with my TJ, I noticed the pin was bent and to take my doors off i would have to take the whole hinge off. That was a pretty big hassle. Ended up buying new smittybilt hinged for 50 bucks. Good upgrade for the money.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I had a problem because they doors hadn't ever been off (Previous owner babied her) and so I could get it up about half an inch and i would pour some vegetable oil down there. Now that it is all oiled up. The doors basically hop off

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I had this problem with my TJ, I noticed the pin was bent and to take my doors off i would have to take the whole hinge off. That was a pretty big hassle. Ended up buying new smittybilt hinged for 50 bucks. Good upgrade for the money.
Thanks for this idea Jordan. Seems like one of the simplest solutions and I didn't consider it. I'll get some so I'm ready when I put the doors back on. I'm not sure how I'll like the black instead of matched color though. Does anyone know of an easy way to paint something like that? Do I just find the right color match and spray them? My jeep is blue... not the dark almost navy blue, but the brighter one.

Just so I can keep it in mind. Thanks!

·
Registered
339 Posts
The Napa auto by me will mix a rattle can of factory paint with the code. A few light coats and some clear and you'll never know they were black.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts