Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Pushy, Loudmouthed, and Ballsy
6,177 Posts
What's the problem with yours? There is a mechanical upgrade available, I think I have seen it in Quadratec's catalog. The reason for using straps is to make it really easy to remove the doors. Nothing to have to disconnect.

·
Registered
798 Posts
My driver's door has 1/4" dockline (cotton rope) for a limiting strap. The P/O had put it there cause the web strap was broken. Works so well, I never considered replacing it.

My junkyard tube doors have some hunks of rusty chain, to limit the travel.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What's the problem with yours? There is a mechanical upgrade available, I think I have seen it in Quadratec's catalog. The reason for using straps is to make it really easy to remove the doors. Nothing to have to disconnect.
strap fine.
bracket on door broke head off bolt. bolt should have been bigger thread size. 1/4" instead of #8 or #10...

windering if upgrade bracket to insert with bigger bolts etc.. i can fab stuff but no sense re-inventing wheel.

·
Registered
798 Posts
strap fine.
bracket on door broke head off bolt. bolt should have been bigger thread size. 1/4" instead of #8 or #10...

windering if upgrade bracket to insert with bigger bolts etc.. i can fab stuff but no sense re-inventing wheel.
Strap is held to the door with a footman loop IIRC.

You can re-bolt it or pop rivet (larger size like 3/16" diameter rivet) it back onto the door.

·
Registered
3,917 Posts
We drilled the screw holes out and used larger stronger screws.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
remember all those freebe tote bags you got from sigining up for junk you really didn't want? use the straps and your sewing machine for the door straps. i also have gone to bolts for the footman loops. there's all kind of stuff you can use.
read buckshot's bottom line. jeep owners are the best "can do" folks around...........next to navy seabees.:punk:

·
Registered
798 Posts
..........next to navy seabees.:punk:
My nickname was given to me by an old co-worker. He was a son of a seabee.
He was a civilian welder like me, working on the re-fit of the USS Saratoga. (Philly 1981)

Both his brothers were 26 shop formen. I think one of those was/had been a seabee.

I have heard many tales of ingenuity & valor from when his father was overseas in the late 1960's. I have a great deal of respect for the seabees, & wish I had known what they were about when I was young enough to become one!:punk:

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
seabees were always the first ashore. i had a high school buddy who was on a seabee landing party in nam. scarey things he could talk about.:wavey:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts