Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When y'all take your top and doors off, do y'all leave the door surround on or take it off? Just wondering, thanks

·
Yipeee Kay Ayyy
2,839 Posts
I leave mine on - I have grab handles on the sports bar and think it looks tidier with the surrounds on.

·
Full Size Jeep Dr.
3,432 Posts
When I was running my Softopper, I'd take the door surrounds off, but with a factory style soft top, I would leave them on.

·
Registered
368 Posts
From a newbie, what are the door surrounds? No laughing. I'm already laughing at myself.

·
Registered
621 Posts
From a newbie, what are the door surrounds? No laughing. I'm already laughing at myself.
It's the black plastic curved piece at the top of each door that the top of the door seats against when you close the door. Each one is held on to the roll bar by two large knob-looking hand screws. That piece can be removed if you aren't going to be running with doors.

I only removed mine once. One of the knobs was missing from the original owner so you had to take that one loose with a pair of pliers, so it was kind of a pain, so I normally left mine on

·
Registered
368 Posts
It's the black plastic curved piece at the top of each door that the top of the door seats against when you close the door. Each one is held on to the roll bar by two large knob-looking hand screws. That piece can be removed if you aren't going to be running with doors.

I only removed mine once. One of the knobs was missing from the original owner so you had to take that one loose with a pair of pliers, so it was kind of a pain, so I normally left mine on
Thank you, I appreciate it.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I have full doors, so I just leave mine on. I think it looks better with the full doors and provides a better seat for the top of the doors. Of course, I had the factory softy last year.

Now, I have the rampage top and some tube doors. I hope to take the full doors off in a week or so when the weather warms a little more and install the tubes, so I will probably pull the surrounds off once the tubes are on. The only reason I would leave them on is if I find that I have to put the top back on too often. If I can manage to not need the top very much, as I'd like, the surrounds will remain off.

·
Motorized toy collector
3,763 Posts
It is much better for the life of full door window frames to leave them on.

I run half doors and a Safari top in the summers. I leave the surrounds on because the Safari top fits much tighter connected to the surrounds, a sudden downpour will not dump water inside the Jeep, and with the uppers more bad weather is sealed out.

If it's just running around on a nice day with no top, I'll take them off.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Mine rattle around at the bottom like a son of a [email protected]@@@ The tapping noise is beyond annoying. Need to get some kind of soft sealant to glue to the bottom so I don't hear the damn vibrating ticking noise
at the bottom of the door surround where it meets the jeep there is supposed to be a black rubber gasket. You can pick these up online and they will stop the vibrating and the noise. They're called Mucket seals. http://m.quadratec.com/products/product.php?pid=13022+56

·
Knows a couple things...
49,420 Posts

·
Registered
510 Posts
I take everything off including the bars from the rollbar to the Windshield frame. I don't want to see anything over my head.

Sometimes, I drop the Windshield too. This is awesome! (but wear goggles!)

·
Registered
368 Posts
I take everything off including the bars from the rollbar to the Windshield frame. I don't want to see anything over my head.

Sometimes, I drop the Windshield too. This is awesome! (but wear goggles!)

Very different Rims, what are they if you don't mind me asking? Thanks

·
Registered
620 Posts
I haven't take my doors of yet, but I imagine it makes sense to remove the surrounds at that point. I do know with doors on that the doors look better with the surrounds in place. You don't see that "gap" between doors and rollbar

·
Full Size Jeep Dr.
3,432 Posts
Looking at the directions for my new top, it looks like the mucket seal is built into the bottom of the door surrounds now. Suits me just fine...fewer things to keep track of.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts