Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the one thing that drives me nuts with my jeep is jumping out and closing the door and hear the thump.seat belt caught over the striking bracket. anyone got a fix for this?:banghead:

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Get a new seatbelt retractor that sucks the belt in when you release it. Mine does that too, I just try to tuck it behind the striker before I shut the door.

·
Founder, ThumbJeeps
4,062 Posts
I got in a habit of throwing it down to my left before opening the door...

·
Yipeee Kay Ayyy
2,839 Posts
My seatbelt used to do the same thing and I found an easy fix quite by accident..
I was working on another project and had to unbolt the seatbelt reel from the floor of the Jeep.
The reel wound up as far as it would go so it was hanging about were the door striker is.
To pull the reel back down to re-bolt it to the floor, the reel had to be dead level.
But when I rebolted it to the floor, the seatbelt retracted all the way for the first time!
That was about 12 months ago and has been OK since.
I'm guessing it somehow retensioned itself by being forced to take a lot more seatbelt than it usually does.

·
Hardcore Jeeper
3,320 Posts
I have this problem all the time. I read a while ago, one option is to lubricate the retracter, the reason its not pulling in is because there is too much friction to be able to pull the seatbelt in.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
My seatbelt used to do the same thing and I found an easy fix quite by accident..
I was working on another project and had to unbolt the seatbelt reel from the floor of the Jeep.
The reel wound up as far as it would go so it was hanging about were the door striker is.
To pull the reel back down to re-bolt it to the floor, the reel had to be dead level.
But when I rebolted it to the floor, the seatbelt retracted all the way for the first time!
That was about 12 months ago and has been OK since.
I'm guessing it somehow retensioned itself by being forced to take a lot more seatbelt than it usually does.
i will give this a try and lub the retactor. thanks let you know how it goes.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I found that after 9 years of randomly shutting the seatbelt in my door it just had a little wear on the belt is all. 90% of the time I noticed the seatbelt getting shut in the striker is when I would un-do the belt and exit my vehicle with my left arm stll thru the seat belt. But just before I got my new Jeep the seat belt would not retract all of the way there would be about 6" of slack. My thought is that the mechanics just needed a litle cleaning and lube.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I found that sliding the buckle down on the belt as it retracts seems to help. If the buckle hits the top retaining loop before the belt is fully retracted it will stop at that point and leave a loop of belt hanging.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts