Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good day,
My upper window frame seems too far away from the main part of the door. I am wanting to weld the window hoop to the door, both at the front and at the rear. Does this gap seem normal or excessive? It seems it should sit up agains the main part of the door.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,757 Posts
That is going to be extremely tough to weld, even with a small Mig on a low setting, that steel isn't very thick. My YJ doors aren't welded there but they don't have that gap in them either.

The window track is what holds that part in place. The rubber track fits down in there and holds everything snug.

My doors had the typical stress crack that all those full doors get on the inside panel just under the wing window. I ended up using a copper plate as a backer to get the crack welded up. It dissipates the heat faster and weld doesn't stick to it. Then just remove the copper backer when done. Maybe that will work for you.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just repaired the common cracking. I also welded the front part of the hoop and had planned on welding the rear. I can weld the thin metal but the gap is too big without putting in a filler piece. The rear of the hoop is pretty solid so I may just leave it. I like the idea of the heat sink, but have not tried one yet.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Been a long time since I've had a tj/yj but I'm thinking that maybe theres supposed to be a bushing in there?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The tops of the hinge barrel (on the half attached to the tub) should be 12.5 inches apart. The windshield hinge is fixed, so adjust the bottom one to 12.5. Once those are set adjust the door hinges (provided they are not so worn out that they won't adjust enough).

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts