Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys, noticed last week that my drivers side window is making a clicking noise when it all the way up! I thought it was the velco on the roll bar cover, or the foam in the roll case, took it all a part to find it was the drivers side door glass! If I crack the window down an 1/8 " the noise stops!Anyone else with this ???

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
Could it be the hard top? On mine, the torx screw that mounts the hard top to the roll cage (not the hand screw) can come loose and cause an annoying clicking noise in your left ear. Took me a while to figure out what it was. See if the noise goes away when you push up on the top.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Could it be the hard top? On mine, the torx screw that mounts the hard top to the roll cage (not the hand screw) can come loose and cause an annoying clicking noise in your left ear. Took me a while to figure out what it was. See if the noise goes away when you push up on the top.

Thanks.. I did notice the noise go away when I cracked the window.. Didnt try pushing on the hard top.. though.. and it is exactly in my left ear right up top! Then I narrowed it down to the window.. But Ill check the screw.. Im confused what screw you are talking about ( not the hand screw) ???

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
The screw to remove the hard top. You have to open the driver's side freedom panel and look at the top of the b-pillar. Might not be your issue, but you never know.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Keep us posted what you find out. Mine does this as well. Kinda sounds like the window is sticking in the window frame. As soon as I slightly touch the window control it stops.

Mine started doing this the same day I got my windows tinted. I just assumed the extra thickness of the window tint was rubbing.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Keep us posted what you find out. Mine does this as well. Kinda sounds like the window is sticking in the window frame. As soon as I slightly touch the window control it stops.

Mine started doing this the same day I got my windows tinted. I just assumed the extra thickness of the window tint was rubbing.
My windows are tinted as well ~ If I crack the window down 1/8 inch it stops! Im in the auto glass business. I never heard of window tint causing a noise.. Its my wifes rig when I have a chance Ill bring it into my shop and have one of my techs check it out and will report back here!!!

·
Commercial Member
1,550 Posts
My windows are tinted as well ~ If I crack the window down 1/8 inch it stops! Im in the auto glass business. I never heard of window tint causing a noise.. Its my wifes rig when I have a chance Ill bring it into my shop and have one of my techs check it out and will report back here!!!
Any update on this, my 2015 JKUR has the driver side door window creak, only when fully up. BTW, I do not have tinted windows...

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My Noise has STOPPED since the weather got warm in NY.. I think the issue is from the Window tint and the cold weather.. No more noise until it gets to be cold here Im sure then it will start up again..

·
Registered
9 Posts
I don't know if it's the same noise that you are telling but the rubber trim around the window on the inside of the door moves a bit on where it's attached to and makes an annoying sticking sound. The windows can move it from pressure or vibration, and makes the same noise than if you do it by hand. I don't know if we can put something inside the trim to make it silent. Like a grease or something. The sound is only the rubber squeeking agains the paint.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have this problem as well. Both front windows, but if I roll them down just the slightest amount it goes away. Is this the foam strip or something else? Seems like it would be the window regulator that needs adjusting or something.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Same here, bad in colder weather, better as it gets warmer. If I push on the glass where it meets the top of the inside door panel, I can usually replicate it.

Seems to be inside the door. Just haven't had time to pull it apart, and it's warm enough that it's not happening much right now, so I tend to forget about it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Same issue with no window tint on two door. Both freedom panels replaced for another reason but noise returns with colder weather. On second set of panels. Did not have the noise on 2012.

·
Registered
4 Posts
So it must be the window track making the noise as I eliminated it by putting thin foam weatherstrip into the track where the top of the window rests. Has been gone since then. Has anyone gotten a fix from Jeep?

·
Commercial Member
1,550 Posts
So it must be the window track making the noise as I eliminated it by putting thin foam weatherstrip into the track where the top of the window rests. Has been gone since then. Has anyone gotten a fix from Jeep?
You opened the window, stuffed some foam and closed the window?

·
Registered
4 Posts
temp repair

So I opened the window and slid into the top channel 3/8 wide by 3/16 inch thick "soft" weatherstrip. I did put talc on it to eliminate the adhesive capability, as I wanted to be able to remove it. I did it on both front windows and the noise is gone. I am not sure if the foam or the talc, or the combination of the two did the trick but it is not a permanent fix. Just confirmed to me that the problem is the window track.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Apologies for the necroreply, but with the cool temperature today, this one's come back, and I'd really like to solve it. Anyone got it figured out?

·
Commercial Member
1,550 Posts
I got a metallic like click in the driver's door I like to figure out. Seems to happen when the Jeep is shifting, like bumps that sway the Jeep or when accelerating from a stop, etc. Also happens more frequently with warmer weather, like there is a bad spot weld.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts