Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My rear drivers side door won't open. When I push the button to open door button stays in the in position. When I go inside to open it from the inside out the door doesn't budge. I tried locking and unlocking both on the key pad and manually on the doors. I can hear the clicking sound when locking and unlocking. IDK if it has to do with the cold weather. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
135 Posts
My rear drivers side door won't open. When I push the button to open door button stays in the in position. When I go inside to open it from the inside out the door doesn't budge. I tried locking and unlocking both on the key pad and manually on the doors. I can hear the clicking sound when locking and unlocking. IDK if it has to do with the cold weather. Any suggestions?
What's the temperature? If water or condensation is in the handle or door it could freeze

·
Registered
73 Posts
This happened to me the other day with my drivers side front door after some freezing rain. There is a rubber plug on the inside of the door (front door anyway. I can't check to see if the rear doors have the same thing at the moment). I pulled that plug out and the latch mechanism is right there. Just a little finagling with my hands and I was able to 'loosen' the part that was frozen and pop the button out. Worth a try if the rear doors have the same plug in the same place.

·
Registered
135 Posts
This happened to me the other day with my drivers side front door after some freezing rain. There is a rubber plug on the inside of the door (front door anyway. I can't check to see if the rear doors have the same thing at the moment). I pulled that plug out and the latch mechanism is right there. Just a little finagling with my hands and I was able to 'loosen' the part that was frozen and pop the button out. Worth a try if the rear doors have the same plug in the same place.
Yeah parking it in a garage over night could take it above freezing, or holding a blow dryer up to the door could also work. Might take more than few minutes to melt it if its got a lot of water in it.

Here when it's cold people's doors often get frozen shut after a car wash, so if you had a car wash recently that could contribute.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Yeah parking it in a garage over night could take it above freezing, or holding a blow dryer up to the door could also work. Might take more than few minutes to melt it if its got a lot of water in it.

Here when it's cold people's doors often get frozen shut after a car wash, so if you had a car wash recently that could contribute.
Agreed, and I do park in a garage, but I didn't have the patience to wait. Mine was also frozen open where it wouldn't latch shut. Same problem, different symptom.
Regardless either give it a bit to thaw, as James suggested, or pop that plug out and see if you can get it loose that way. That wouldn't be a terrible place to point that suggested blow dryer either if you can't free it up with you hands.

I did just use this thread as an excuse to get up from my desk and walked out and looked and the rear doors do have that plug right over the mechanism.

*edited for grammar stupidity

·
Registered
73 Posts
all doors open except driver rear door. I didn't wash it the temp was 14 degrees. Why would the button in handle be pushed in and won't pop out?
My guess is something is jamming the mechanism?
Even if you didn't wash it, at 14 degrees moisture could have gotten in there and froze things in place. While I was poking around I realized it really doesn't take much pressure on anything to get the button to pop back out so it's not like to door was full of solid ice.

Any of the suggestions posted here are worth trying. If it seems to be something different or doesn't resolve the issue, a trip to the dealer may be your option if you are still under warranty.

·
Registered
135 Posts
My guess is something is jamming the mechanism? Even if you didn't wash it, at 14 degrees moisture could have gotten in there and froze things in place. While I was poking around I realized it really doesn't take much pressure on anything to get the button to pop back out so it's not like to door was full of solid ice. Any of the suggestions posted here are worth trying. If it seems to be something different or doesn't resolve the issue, a trip to the dealer may be your option if you are still under warranty.
Well said. There's a chance it could very well be something else, mechanical, but i would still be mindful of environmental causes. Does it feel like the door button slides in easily? Or does it feel like the is rubbing? Is it sticky? Or it even able to be wiggle at all? Has the button ever popped or is it all the way in, from when you tried to open it, and now you can't get the button out? I don't know if the latch itself has popped or not, something couldn't be frozen on the line between the button and the actually latch. Maybe something is caught in the latch itself and is preventing it from returning. Have you tried tapping it gently ?

Tell me this.... The inside latch, does it have tension or is it loose?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Same happened to my previous jeep. Find a way to warm it up. If you could avoid using that door altogether I'd let it be till it warms up. Why take a chance breaking something in there.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Same happened to my previous jeep. Find a way to earn it up. If you could avoid using that door altogether I'd let it be till it warms up. Why take a chance breaking something in there.

I searched and found a few other posts with a similar problem. One guy took a rubber mallet and gently tapped where the latch was from the inside and it opened. He then applied lithium grease and it helped.

Alternatively you could just take it in to the dealer for warranty service. I can't stand taking mine in because it seems to take forever.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I searched and found a few other posts with a similar problem. One guy took a rubber mallet and gently tapped where the latch was from the inside and it opened. He then applied lithium grease and it helped. Alternatively you could just take it in to the dealer for warranty service. I can't stand taking mine in because it seems to take forever.
Did this work for you?

·
Registered
29 Posts
When you pop the plug look up to the area where the outside door button come thru. if i remember correctly there is a paddle the button pushes. Mine was corroded at the pivot point and was not moving properly. I pb blasted to disolve corrosion then sprayed lithium grease on it. No issues since.

·
Registered
25 Posts
this happened to me once months ago. And it back to work after I drove up a hill once. I was thinking some sort of steep angle let go what was stuck in there. And then I opened the door and "WD40" all over it. It's been good so far. Hope your door open up soon.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts