Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How much door off driving do people do? And it it legal around town?

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have driven around Baltimore and surrounding suburbs (plus OC, Bethany and Assateague) in a variety of Jeeps for over 20 years. Never had an issue with the law. (For the doors, anyway.)

·
Registered
43 Posts
Check your state laws, but I don't know why doors off would be illegal. People can ride motorcycles, and they have no doors

·
Premium Member
3,416 Posts
Keep in mind there are mirror laws so depending on your setup this could be important. VA requires one internal and one external rear facing mirror last I checked.
Yup, same here in Utah. You need at least one external mirror. Just get either mirror relocation brackets or spare mirrors. No big deal. Going doors off is worth any grief you can come up with.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Live in dc and took the doors off yesterday and threw them in storage. They will stay there until October. I've never had an issue in dc (or va or md) while driving. I do have mirrors that drop into the door hinges and have a magnetic joint. That said, I bought some expensive ones and they suck. Passenger side is impossible to use, drivers is ok and could be better if I tightened them, but they swivel down pretty easy. I run with them for legal reasons and am just extra careful when switching lanes. It's pretty easy to check with no doors or top. I was curious if I needed doors for inspection coming up in July. It will be my first since buying it new last summer.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Driving odorless from baltimore to the eastern shore for 20+ years with no problems. Just get mirrors like the others said and have fun.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Drove from VA to Baltimore then back through DC this weekend. No doors and passed state troopers and city police. No issues but lots of waves!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the responses!

I do have mirrors that drop into the door hinges and have a magnetic joint. That said, I bought some expensive ones and they suck.
Would love a recommendation on make/model if you get a chance.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Another vote here for the Just Add Mudd mirrors. I like that they fit under the front seats when I'm not using them. They get a nice solid fit without needing tools.

Tool-less install is a plus for me. A few times I've started to put a door back on and forgot that the mirrors were on. You can take them off with one hand while holding the door over the shoulder with other.

But since they come off easy, I do worry about them getting swiped - not that a fellow jeeper would do such a thing.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Calling for 80-85 in that area Thursday and Fri going to remove doors for first time. Trying to find out if anyone in area knows if the circle mirrors people put on heat vents will be considered LEGAL or not?.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I've heard on occasion a few have been bugged about lack of mirrors in Ocean City. But I think it's pretty rare.

I don't see how vent mirrors would be that different than using a visor vanity mirror as your second mirror. But I'm probably going to do the vent mirror as a backup too.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
I've got no top or doors right now in VA, I'm also using the vent mirrors, however tomorrow I should have some rugged ridge mirrors delivered just in time for summer:) Haven't had any issues around VA Beach.

·
Registered
315 Posts
No issues in MD, need drivers side mirror to stay legal.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Thanks for the responses!

Would love a recommendation on make/model if you get a chance.
I have the Just Add Mud mirrors. i wouldnt have spent 100 on them had i known the passenger side is just about useless. That said, the driver side isnt as bad as i may have made it out initially. it works just fine. doing it again id look for something cheaper.

as stated above, they do just drop in to the hinges. i have also been afraid of someone walking away with them and used to hide them when i left, but now i just let them be and what happens, happens.

·
Registered
1 Posts
You could be cited for driving without doors in MD...

Maryland has a convoluted system of vehicle laws, and most reasonable police will not hassle you, but you could theoretically be cited for either § 22-101 (driving unsafe vehicle) or § 23-104 (driving vehicle on the highway without required minimum equipment) This is how Ocean City gets you.

From the Maryland Annotated Code (Transportation Article):

§ 23-104 (a) Equipment enumerated. -- Every vehicle driven on the highways in this State shall, where applicable, have the following equipment, meeting or exceeding the standards established jointly by the Administration and the Division: brakes, steering, suspension, horn, DOOR HANDLES, mirrors, tires, exhaust system, lights, glazing, windshield wipers, odometer, speedometer, bumpers, properly aligned wheels, wheels and wheel lugs, fenders, floor pans, hood, hood catches, emissions equipment, fuel system, front seat, motor mounts, gear selection indicator for automatic transmissions, universal joints, and seat belts or combination seat belt-shoulder harness if required as original equipment under § 22-412 or § 22-412.1 of this article.

§ 22-101. Driving with improper equipment prohibited
(a) In general. --
(1) A person may not drive and the owner may not cause or knowingly permit to be driven on any highway any vehicle or combination of vehicles that:
(i) Is in such unsafe condition as to endanger any person;
(ii) Does not contain those parts or is not at all times equipped with lamps and other equipment in proper condition and adjustment as required in this title; or
(iii) Is equipped in any manner in violation of this title.
(2) A person may not do any act forbidden or fail to do any act required under this title.

Case law indicates that police could look to the Code of Maryland Regulations (COMAR) 11.14.02.17 (requiring doors to pass safety inspection) to further the argument that Jeeps/vehicles without doors are unsafe or driving without proper equipment. See also Smith v. State, 214 Md. App. 195 (2013).

The good news: the fines are cheap. A violation of either § 22-101 or § 23-104 is only $70.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I live in Florida, I check the weather report, if there is no rain in the forecast for 4 or more days, the doors come off. I haven't purchased mirrors yet, but been doing this for close to a year now and no tickets.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Maryland has a convoluted system of vehicle laws, and most reasonable police will not hassle you, but you could theoretically be cited for either § 22-101 (driving unsafe vehicle) or § 23-104 (driving vehicle on the highway without required minimum equipment) This is how Ocean City gets you.

From the Maryland Annotated Code (Transportation Article):

§ 23-104 (a) Equipment enumerated. -- Every vehicle driven on the highways in this State shall, where applicable, have the following equipment, meeting or exceeding the standards established jointly by the Administration and the Division: brakes, steering, suspension, horn, DOOR HANDLES, mirrors, tires, exhaust system, lights, glazing, windshield wipers, odometer, speedometer, bumpers, properly aligned wheels, wheels and wheel lugs, fenders, floor pans, hood, hood catches, emissions equipment, fuel system, front seat, motor mounts, gear selection indicator for automatic transmissions, universal joints, and seat belts or combination seat belt-shoulder harness if required as original equipment under § 22-412 or § 22-412.1 of this article.

§ 22-101. Driving with improper equipment prohibited
(a) In general. --
(1) A person may not drive and the owner may not cause or knowingly permit to be driven on any highway any vehicle or combination of vehicles that:
(i) Is in such unsafe condition as to endanger any person;
(ii) Does not contain those parts or is not at all times equipped with lamps and other equipment in proper condition and adjustment as required in this title; or
(iii) Is equipped in any manner in violation of this title.
(2) A person may not do any act forbidden or fail to do any act required under this title.

Case law indicates that police could look to the Code of Maryland Regulations (COMAR) 11.14.02.17 (requiring doors to pass safety inspection) to further the argument that Jeeps/vehicles without doors are unsafe or driving without proper equipment. See also Smith v. State, 214 Md. App. 195 (2013).

The good news: the fines are cheap. A violation of either § 22-101 or § 23-104 is only $70.
I have heard OC cops getting people on this but I have been going doorless for years down there with no issues. I think it all depends on what "else" you were doing...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts