Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone ride with there doors off an no mirrors and not get pulled over. Im in pa and i took my doors off so i ahd no mirrors the other day and i passed probably 8 cops with no problem.

·
Registered
6,886 Posts
Laws vary state to state ====LIST of STATE MIRROR LAWS==== - JeepForum.com but it is going to depend on the local cops themselves. It's not a major offence and they likely will not pull you over just for that as a primary. I've run around plenty in several states without bothering (or forgot) to put on my temporary doorless mirror.

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
In PA you are not permitted to drive without doors. Tons of people drive doorless but you can be ticketed and the courts will side with the cops.

I'm sure you technically need mirrors if you must drive with factory doors.

·
Registered
3 Posts
You are required to have the side mirrors in PA.

While in the police academy and studying the vehicle code, I've never heard of any laws that require the doors (granted, that was 10 years ago and the laws change constantly).

In 12 years of owning Jeeps, I've never had an issue when I was missing either...

I HAVE been yelled at to keep my legs inside of the Jeep though. I tend to put my foot on the door frame or on the side step when I take the doors off.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You are required to have the side mirrors in PA. While in the police academy and studying the vehicle code, I've never heard of any laws that require the doors (granted, that was 10 years ago and the laws change constantly). In 12 years of owning Jeeps, I've never had an issue when I was missing either... I HAVE been yelled at to keep my legs inside of the Jeep though. I tend to put my foot on the door frame or on the side step when I take the doors off.
Will cops really bug you about not having mirrors. I dont see the need to spend 50$ on mirrors.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Will cops really bug you about not having mirrors. I dont see the need to spend 50$ on mirrors.
I just purchased the side mirrors that go into the frames two years ago. Before that I spent ten years without them when I took the doors off and never had a problem. I know that the law does require them so that is why I did pick up a pair that drop in the door hinge, just to prevent any fights/debates.

I have asked my buddies at Scranton PD and some friends that are Staties about the doors. I'll let you know their responses once I hear back from them.

·
Registered
6,886 Posts
You are required to have the side mirrors in PA.

While in the police academy and studying the vehicle code, I've never heard of any laws that require the doors (granted, that was 10 years ago and the laws change constantly).

In 12 years of owning Jeeps, I've never had an issue when I was missing either...
I'm sure it occurs elsewhere but I have seen a number of posts specifically about people in PA having difficulty over doors and tickets.

It's a big state (like everywhere) and of course it depends on the individual police officer(s) I work in the Philadelphia area and vacation in NW PA and have not had an issue but others have had different experiances.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just purchased the side mirrors that go into the frames two years ago. Before that I spent ten years without them when I took the doors off and never had a problem. I know that the law does require them so that is why I did pick up a pair that drop in the door hinge, just to prevent any fights/debates.

I have asked my buddies at Scranton PD and some friends that are Staties about the doors. I'll let you know their responses once I hear back from them.
Statie just said that "it's bulls#it" for getting a ticket without the doors. He just flipped through his 2013 criminal / vehicle code and didn't see anything for that. If anyone in PA gets a ticket for not having doors, let me know...we want to check to see what section/subsection they were cited under.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I was just reading over the PA code from the List of Mirror Laws thread linked above, and it looks like only a rearview mirror is required, not side view. There are exceptions, of course, but most of those states that I looked at only required one rearview mirror, and that's the one on the windshield.

The doors.... well, I don't know about that one, but I'd imagine UPS, FedEx, and USPS would have an issues with that law.

·
Registered
234 Posts
There are people who have been cited for having no doors in PA as seen above in Neil's post. That being said, I have had my Jeep for 14 years and have never had an issue with no doors. I have a friend who has his Jeep almost as long as I do and never had a problem. Can it happen? Yes. But it is rare. I have pulled next to state troopers and local cops at stop lights. I also make sure I have my mirrors moved to the door frame so I still run both side mirrors for safety/visibility reasons.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Good question nobody has ever started a thread like this before...

·
Registered
3,513 Posts
I was just reading over the PA code from the List of Mirror Laws thread linked above, and it looks like only a rearview mirror is required, not side view. There are exceptions, of course, but most of those states that I looked at only required one rearview mirror, and that's the one on the windshield.

The doors.... well, I don't know about that one, but I'd imagine UPS, FedEx, and USPS would have an issues with that law.
That is correct, per the code you only need the rearview mirror. Unless your view is blocked, like when towing a trailer or a high load in the back seat.

Again per the code, doors are not required, as long as the top is off.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Haa this is so confusing!! 'No one is saying the same thing. Its all mixed comments. I dont know whats true or not! Help me!!

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Call me silly, but why would you not want to have side mirrors. I think it is a safety issue. When I have driven without them I feel like my visibility is significantly diminished.These are a bit pricey, but so easy to use. American Outlaw BLK00207 - American Outlaw Black Mirrors for 76-14 Jeep® CJ and Wrangler - Quadratec
Yeh ive seen those before but i dont really feel like i need mirrors. Theres no blind spots on jeeps and u do a quick turn with your head and your good. But honestly i have money to save for tires and wheels so im not worried about mirrors nor do i really care about having them either.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Its actually a Federal Mandate to have an outside Mirror at minimum on the Driver side. This is from DOT. State laws vary, but I can guarantee at least one outside mirror is required by all states. Whether or not its enforced most likely depends on the boredom of the local Officer.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I havent had my jeep long, but I havent had any problems. I did once pull up next to an officer blasting the Dead Cop Rock, and he just gave me a funny look.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts