Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took my doors off today for the first time, 15 Willys unlimited new March of 15.
All doors came off relatively easy except for the left rear. Needed a floor jack and 2x6 to pop it loose. :blackeye
I'guessing it's normal for at least one to stick, but it was also hard to get back on like the hinges are out of line.

Anyway I put lots of Neverseize on the pins I'm hoping it will come off easy next time.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
When I took mine off for the first time, I got lucky too. Only one door kinda stuck and I didn't need a jack or anything. Just a lot of swearing and pulling.

For anyone else reading this that has recently or will shortly be buying a new one, the first time your doors come off should be AS SOON AS POSSIBLE after you buy it so you can put in some TMR hinge liners. Even if you don't think you'll ever take the doors off again, just do this. Some day either you or the next owner will be happy you did.

·
Bella's Jeeper
1,233 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
783 Posts
Do you guys put the bolts back on when reinstalling the doors? I never did on the TJ and didn't have any issues not sure with the jk though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
Took my doors off today for the first time, 15 Willys unlimited new March of 15.
All doors came off relatively easy except for the left rear. Needed a floor jack and 2x6 to pop it loose. :blackeye
I'guessing it's normal for at least one to stick, but it was also hard to get back on like the hinges are out of line.

Anyway I put lots of Neverseize on the pins I'm hoping it will come off easy next time.
When I took mine off for the first time, I got lucky too. Only one door kinda stuck and I didn't need a jack or anything. Just a lot of swearing and pulling.

For anyone else reading this that has recently or will shortly be buying a new one, the first time your doors come off should be AS SOON AS POSSIBLE after you buy it so you can put in some TMR hinge liners. Even if you don't think you'll ever take the doors off again, just do this. Some day either you or the next owner will be happy you did.
I just took my doors off for the first time too. I had both rear doors stick pretty good but with muscle and persistence they finally came off. Great tips on the hinge liners.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Hinge liners are a must IMHO. Three of mine came off easily the 1st time, the fourth not so much. With the liners the slide out smooth and easy.

I only put the bottom nuts on during the winter, summer I have the doors off most of the time and if I put them on its for short periods.

You can buy hing pin extenders, which make it easier to line them up. Sadly I've never found them in black and the silver just stands out.

·
Bella's Jeeper
1,233 Posts
Hinge liners are a must IMHO. Three of mine came off easily the 1st time, the fourth not so much. With the liners the slide out smooth and easy.

I only put the bottom nuts on during the winter, summer I have the doors off most of the time and if I put them on its for short periods.

You can buy hing pin extenders, which make it easier to line them up. Sadly I've never found them in black and the silver just stands out.
This is what I do too....once the doors come off they mostly go back on for road trips so I usually put the bolts back in. The extenders make it much easier to put the doors back on solo....

·
Registered
271 Posts
Mine were caked with dirt the first time I took them off, was literally like deadlifting to get them off.....cleaned them up and WD-40'd them a little bit......now its easy

·
Registered
284 Posts

Funny, I'm new to Jeeps and never even thought about taking the doors off until last weekend when I was out and about and noticed so many Jeeps with their doors off. Well, guess what I'm doing this summer, those doors will be coming off and I guess I'll be purchasing a set of those hinge liners also.

Question, what do you guys use to cover your ride when the doors are off when there is a possibility of rain? I may head to Hilton Head this summer and may want to take the top and doors off and since there are sudden strong downpours at night on occasion I'd like to cover it in the evening.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Funny, I'm new to Jeeps and never even thought about taking the doors off until last weekend when I was out and about and noticed so many Jeeps with their doors off. Well, guess what I'm doing this summer, those doors will be coming off and I guess I'll be purchasing a set of those hinge liners also.

Question, what do you guys use to cover your ride when the doors are off when there is a possibility of rain? I may head to Hilton Head this summer and want to take the top and doors off and since there are sudden strong downpours at night on occasion I'd like to cover it in the evening.
There are some great covers out there that cover the door spaces as well and only cost slightly over $100. I used to use one all the time when I had a TJ that didn't have doors on it all summer and I lived in an apartment (10 years ago) so it was always outside.

Take a look at a place like Quadratec and see what there is. They all have straps at the bottom and mine even went through a hurricane or 2.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Maybe I should look into those hinge extenders. Do you just take them off once you've put the door on?

I feel like Yakety Sax is my theme music for putting the doors back on. :D
My understanding is that they replace the liners that are currently on our Jeeps and since they are made of a different material they allow the doors to move more freely and removed more easily.

·
Registered
271 Posts

Question, what do you guys use to cover your ride when the doors are off when there is a possibility of rain? I may head to Hilton Head this summer and may want to take the top and doors off and since there are sudden strong downpours at night on occasion I'd like to cover it in the evening.
Good thing i'm in Vegas and dont have to worry about rain....just the sun beating down on the leather when i'm inside at work......but for rain, I can't imagine anything other than the actual cover to protect the inside. I have seen some covers that you can use daily, not sure how they'd work with rain tho.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
My understanding is that they replace the liners that are currently on our Jeeps and since they are made of a different material they allow the doors to move more freely and removed more easily.
You're talking about the hinge liners I mentioned earlier.

I'm asking about these extenders that supposedly make it easier to line up the doors.

·
Bella's Jeeper
1,233 Posts
So it's only on the top hinge? I don't really understand how they help. What's different? Can you just line up the top one rather than having to get both together at once?
I take mine off after the doors are back on. They let you get the top hinge in and then line the bottom one up rather than trying to line them both up at the same time....

1 - 20 of 75 Posts