Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a used wrangler. Naturally I wanted to get the doors off ASAP. The front doors came off no problem. But the back 2 doors were stuck on pretty good. Took me and a friend 10 minutes of hard pulling and pushing to get each door off. When I put the back 2 back on they had to be forced in as well.

I've read that a lot of people use PB Blaster to loosen them up. Is there anything I can do to prevent the bolts from rusting/sticking further? Or anything I can do to ensure that they can be removed easily over time?

·
Registered
858 Posts
white lithium grease liberally to the pins/hinges

·
Registered
535 Posts
Delrin rod inserts

The stock inserts seem to react with the metal and get pretty corroded. There are replacements made of delrin rod, (type of nylon/plastic), that eliminates this problem. I see they now make them in black.

·
Super Moderator
53,758 Posts
igivup said:
The stock inserts seem to react with the metal and get pretty corroded. There are replacements made of delrin rod, (type of nylon/plastic), that eliminates this problem. I see they now make them in black.
Ahhh that's what those were lol

Mine came out in pieces. Does anybody know the importance of the inserts?

·
Premium Member
2,939 Posts
mine were a real pain to get off the 1st time but got progressively easier the more i took them off. At 1st it required a 2x4 and a folded towel and lots of elbow grease. not they come right off but i usually lube them up with lithium grease before i put them back on. just remember slow and easy.

·
Registered
849 Posts
I recall reading somewhere that someone used a jack with a piece of wood in between the jack and door. Just an idea...

·
Registered
7 Posts
The first time I took mine off it took 2people. 1 on the inside holding the top the other on the outside lifting at the bottom towards the hinge. Popped right out.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Mine came off with no issues the first time. I did have to find the right "sweet spot" angle to get the start lifting though. I just wiped the insides with some moly grease and they pop out with no effort.

That being said I had more trouble fighting with the door straps then the doors them selves.​

·
Registered
232 Posts
I had one stuck, sprayed some WD-40, waited about 2 mins and mine came right off.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Took my doors off for the first time last night. Pretty sure the previous owner never had them off. They wouldn't budge, peeled back a good thick layer of skin wiggling the door back and forth. Came up stairs, read this post, grabbed my roommate and went back downstairs and they came off in 2 minutes with one of us pushing up from the bottorm of the door and the other pulling up. Gonna throw some of that lithium grease in there before putting them back on.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts