Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone know how heavy the front doors are. I fugure the back are lighter.

·
Registered
371 Posts
not sure of the exact weight... but the full door with power windows is fairly heavy...

·
Registered
160 Posts
I want to say its 55 to 60lbs depending on electric windows or not, as for the rear there 40 to 45lbs.

·
Registered
647 Posts
if youre thinking about taking them off just roll the window down first so you can put your arm though and use the top of it for another spot to hold onto :thumb:

·
Registered
187 Posts
The front door of my JKU is 62.5 lbs. Not light but not bad. Yes I weighed it when I took them off. I'm an engineer (geek). Make sure you know where you are putting it down before you are holding and trying to decide. Putting it back on is harder because you need to line up the holes.

I wonder if rolling the window down first to protect them and give more places the grab is a good idea. Any disadvantages to doing that?

·
Premium Member
12,478 Posts
The front door of my JKU is 62.5 lbs. Not light but not bad. Yes I weighed it when I took them off. I'm an engineer (geek). Make sure you know where you are putting it down before you are holding and trying to decide. Putting it back on is harder because you need to line up the holes.

I wonder if rolling the window down first to protect them and give more places the grab is a good idea. Any disadvantages to doing that?
Says to roll em down in the manual.

I took mine off at the beginning of winter to apply lithium grease to the hinges so that road salt wouldn’t get in there and make them hard to remove come Spring. Can’t imagine trying to take em off with the windows UP, quite frankly.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Can’t imagine trying to take em off with the windows UP, quite frankly.
Ha! :facepalm:

·
Registered
118 Posts
They felt lighter than 62.5 pounds, to me. I have a JKU, and I removed my front doors a few days ago. Was a lot easier than I thought it was going to be. I put mine on old towels on the floor in my garage. Thinking of getting some type of hangers, if I can find a decent spot in my cramped garage to store them.

Definitely roll the power windows down first...

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks, Making a hanger and wanted to know so i get something that will support it. :popcorn:

·
Registered
3,345 Posts
thanks, Making a hanger and wanted to know so i get something that will support it. :popcorn:
This is the method I am going with in the spring. Already have all the stuff, just need to find the time to do it. Using pool noodles on the hangers for some added protection as well.
Another DIY Door hanger

·
Registered
3,345 Posts
Weed Hopper said:
How about these? I saw them when I was checking out sliders.

Door Hangers
Somebody over at JK-F made some of those himself for much cheaper than that. I'm a little hesitant to do it like that as that is a whole lot of strain on the hinges. At least when the door is bolted to the vehicle, the latch holds a bit of the stress.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I don't know. I think it would be better to hang from the hinge pins than from the window frame. The hinges are designed for that. The window frames aren't.

·
Registered
187 Posts
This is the method I am going with in the spring. Already have all the stuff, just need to find the time to do it. Using pool noodles on the hangers for some added protection as well. Another DIY Door hanger
That DIY Door hanger thread is great. Maybe I'll hang them in my man cave. The snowboard is already hung on the wall. I'm sure the wife would love Jeep doors hung there as well. :whistling:

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
I just hang mine from $3 ladder hooks through the window; hooked over a rafter.
Planning ahead is important.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Some day I'll go out and weigh mine. I have the power windows/locks. 50 lbs sounds about right. THey are lighter then the rear doors. The front ones are a little bulky heavy for me to manage but I do. :) Hardest part is lifting it up and getting the pins to line up to get it back on the Jeep, the mirror makes it challengaging. :)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts