Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
delicate %$^&*@ flower
14,751 Posts
Can you slide them up a little? When mine get a little tough to get off, I slide them up a bit, WD40 the hinge pins (which are attached to the door side of the hinge), let them slide back in, open and close a couple times. They come right off then. :D

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
Spray pb blaster inside the hinge. Let it sit 45 mins (overnight is better!).

Spray white lithium grease inside the hinges.

Un hook the strap so the door can swing 180*. Swing door all the way to fender and back a few times.

Get a rubber mallet or hammer (hammers better). Tape anything painted around the hinge in a 1 foot diameter. Finger tighten the nut into the door stud, so that its just barley lower than the hinge (1-2 treads from flush).

Carefully beat the snot out of the nut attached to the door pins a few times (upper/lower).

Yank up on the door, while swinging it, yanking as hard as you can.

Repeat as nessesary. Becareful with the hammer, hit it hard, but dont miss!

If that doesnt work, let me know and I will give ya the floor jack trick.

In PA/MD/East coast, doors pins rust to the hinge in like 2 years. Even my 05 was a PITA. After you get them off, lube em with lithium grease REAL GOOD, so you dont have any more probs.

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
Can you slide them up a little? When mine get a little tough to get off, I slide them up a bit, WD40 the hinge pins (which are attached to the door side of the hinge), let them slide back in, open and close a couple times. They come right off then. :D
Hes got an east coast YJ.. Them doors aint budgin' without some help :p

·
Registered
925 Posts
yeah, mine wouldnt budge at first. i was yankin up on them as hard as i could, and the whole jeep was rockin and the doors wouldnt move. so i got a can of lube (tri flow) with a straw insert and got it in both of the hinges, and swung the door from almost shut, to the fender, and back again a couple times. sprayed a little more lube, repeated, lifted up, and they came off like it was nothing. then just coated the bolts in grease, and stuck them back in, and repeated on the other side.

hope this helps

·
Registered
3,901 Posts
I beat mine halfway to death before I realized there were nuts on them. :chair:

·
Pushy, Loudmouthed, and Ballsy
6,177 Posts
And a nut working on them?

·
Registered
3,901 Posts
Hey, I never said I was smart. I gots that fourf greyed edjumucayshun.

·
Pushy, Loudmouthed, and Ballsy
6,177 Posts
Hey, I never said I was smart. I gots that fourf greyed edjumucayshun.
I'm sorry, you just set yourself up so well for that one, I couldn't resist!!! :D

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
yea... so far i got the passenger door to come half way off... but then the pin start to slide out without the door because I was hitting the pin with a metal rod and a mallet. :(

·
Extremely Humble
11,545 Posts
Work the door back and forth while pulling up on it. Your doors are much heavier than you think they are. Sometimes you have to get them at just the right angle before they come off.

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
Use a jack. Put a board between the jack and door and gently convince it to come out :D
bad idea. Dont do that unless you have to. If you jack it up in the wrong spot, and jack it up too high, you WILL bend your door pins or break off your hinges. Bend your door pins, and you will NEVER get that door in right.

Just keep spraying the crap out of it with white lithium grease, yanking up so hard that sweat drips from your forehead, while swinging them making full use of the hinge. It will eventually come. Be patient grasshopper. It will come, but even 2006 Jeep doors SUCK taking off the first time, a 95 is going to be hell :D. If you have full doors, they probably weigh 50 pounds, half doors weigh about 10-15, so they do weigh more than you think when pulling up. If you taped everything off like I said, you have nothing to worry about when yanking, other than the doors being too heavy and dropping them :)

·
Extremely Humble
11,545 Posts
QFMFT? Never seen this one before. :confused:

·
I got nothin'
1,901 Posts
When I pulled mine of my TJ the first time, I found that constant pressure works best, instead of using a hammer or anything. Just put a brick down under the door, prop your leg up there, and lift for all you are worth close to the hinges while working the door back and forth. This is what worked for me, but with an older Jeep, you may need to "persuade" the pins a bit before they will let go and slide out as suggested above. On both of my YJ's, I had zero issues removing the doors, they just slid right out, and they were about 10 year old Michigan Jeeps, so same winters you guys get... Good luck!:D

1 - 20 of 61 Posts