Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,392 Posts
The fact is, in all States aux lights are legal.. (providing you comply with local regs)

Fact also, most Taxi's are NOT re-purposed police vehicles (really?? now we're projecting tv commercials), they are purchased new, look it up..

FMVSS? you're kidding right?? no one posting on this thread is required to follow FMVSS, those are standards for Vehicle Manufacturers...

So how about lets agree to stop distributing FUD.... (that'd be, Fear-Uncertainty-Doubt)
Getnof gave you examples of statutes dictating the height of the aux lights. I won't find the statutes but I know MA, VT, NH, NY, and ME all have that same 42" light rule because I wanted to run my lights during the deer rut but its illegal so it's do at your own risk. That's a pretty common theme with most states. Clearance/marker lights are different and so are emergency vehicles like tow trucks

·
Premium Member
7,097 Posts
Really?? I see roof strobes on just about every service vehicle out there, spots on many also. Roof lights are factory optional on most pick-ups in all States. Many taxi's have door mounted spots. Not even getting into the med/hd truck 'aux lights above factory' roaming the roads everywhere.

I'm sorry, but the quoted post is just bad information/advise.
A vehicle can have 1000 lights on it, including roof lights, and all is well, in all 50 states. The legality comes in when you use them ON a public roadway...only a few states allow aux lighting to be used on public roads. Strobes are not in the same category. Many cops treat aux lights like highbeams...if you use them without other vehicles around, they let it slide.

·
Premium Member
7,097 Posts
Regardless of your banter, which by the way is incorrect as aux lights are technically not legal for road use in NY as they would have to be approved for use by NY or be no more than 32 candlepower or completely covered... I challenge you to drive in NY or PA with an aux light above the headlights that is turned on while traveling on a state road past any state cop... YOU WILL BE PULLED OVER... All and yes I said all, feel free to try and find one that does not, states have "flexible" laws regarding aux lighting that is open for interpretation by law enforcement... NYS has the "dazzling beam cutoff height and width to the left of the longitudinal axis", measure that in the field... Oh that's right YOU CAN'T but you will still get pulled over for it... PA has a similar law on the books and also the main law regarding the height of the physical lamp off the ground, not in reference to anything but the physical road the vehicle is on, which is 42in from the GROUND or about the top of the factory headlamp on a stock JK Rubicon... As a general rule to keep you out of being pulled over keep them below the headlights or make sure they are covered by an opaque cover... NY will make laws up on the fly and pull you over if they so chose for anything they don't care for, anything aftermarket is a gamble up there...

Also keep in mind that most cops have no clue what the actual laws are... if they don't like it, then they don't like it and you are going to hear about it...

So to ASE go play your fiddle elsewhere because many of us have been having these discussions long before you came around, and likely before you ever owned a vehicle that aux lamps were even mounted on... Many of us, including myself, have been pulled over even while following the laws of the state we were in... If your lamps are too bright, lack a safe cutoff as to not blind oncoming traffic, and are not mounted in accordance to the law of the state you are in you risk being pulled over and ticketed... ESPECIALLY IN NY :)

067 Pa. Code §Â 175.66.  Lighting and electrical systems.
Vehicle & Traffic Law - Vehicle Equipment
Absolutely correct.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
For affordable upgraded headlights, buy the Hella E-codes from rallylights.com. They are much better than stock and more affordable then the LED options.

Mike

·
Registered
692 Posts
Getnof gave you examples of statutes dictating the height of the aux lights. I won't find the statutes but I know MA, VT, NH, NY, and ME all have that same 42" light rule because I wanted to run my lights during the deer rut but its illegal so it's do at your own risk. That's a pretty common theme with most states. Clearance/marker lights are different and so are emergency vehicles like tow trucks
It was not my intention to argue any issue, I was simply defending the statements I made regarding the comment "Most states do not allow aux. lighting mounted above the factory lights."

Regardless of your banter, which by the way is incorrect as aux lights are technically not legal for road use in NY as they would have to be approved for use by NY or be no more than 32 candlepower or completely covered... I challenge you to drive in NY or PA with an aux light above the headlights that is turned on while traveling on a state road past any state cop... YOU WILL BE PULLED OVER... All and yes I said all, feel free to try and find one that does not, states have "flexible" laws regarding aux lighting that is open for interpretation by law enforcement... NYS has the "dazzling beam cutoff height and width to the left of the longitudinal axis", measure that in the field... Oh that's right YOU CAN'T but you will still get pulled over for it... PA has a similar law on the books and also the main law regarding the height of the physical lamp off the ground, not in reference to anything but the physical road the vehicle is on, which is 42in from the GROUND or about the top of the factory headlamp on a stock JK Rubicon... As a general rule to keep you out of being pulled over keep them below the headlights or make sure they are covered by an opaque cover... NY will make laws up on the fly and pull you over if they so chose for anything they don't care for, anything aftermarket is a gamble up there...

Also keep in mind that most cops have no clue what the actual laws are... if they don't like it, then they don't like it and you are going to hear about it...

So to ASE go play your fiddle elsewhere because many of us have been having these discussions long before you came around, and likely before you ever owned a vehicle that aux lamps were even mounted on... Many of us, including myself, have been pulled over even while following the laws of the state we were in... If your lamps are too bright, lack a safe cutoff as to not blind oncoming traffic, and are not mounted in accordance to the law of the state you are in you risk being pulled over and ticketed... ESPECIALLY IN NY :)

067 Pa. Code §Â*175.66.Â* Lighting and electrical systems.
Vehicle & Traffic Law - Vehicle Equipment
Absolutely correct.

Have you even been to NY?
I grew up in NY State (Rockland County), lived there for 42yrs (less 8yrs active duty). Jeep'd, biker'd & generally stomped & romped most of NY State my entire fun life. Had windshield, bumper & roof lights on an '87 Sahara with no covers for 10yrs & never got hassled. Maybe its because I didn't use them on-road like anyone else with common sense, or maybe I'm just special..

Now I'm not trying to start trouble & I am new to this site, but is insulting folks personally - for having an opinion or having something to say that disagrees with your thinking - the way things are normally done around here? or do I need to pay up & become a 'supporting member' to insult others?

You 'supporting members' should be taking the lead & setting an example for others, not ganging up & slapping folks down because you disagree, or paid a fee..

·
Registered
574 Posts
It was not my intention to argue any issue, I was simply defending the statements I made regarding the comment "Most states do not allow aux. lighting mounted above the factory lights."

I grew up in NY State (Rockland County), lived there for 42yrs (less 8yrs active duty). Jeep'd, biker'd & generally stomped & romped most of NY State my entire fun life. Had windshield, bumper & roof lights on an '87 Sahara with no covers for 10yrs & never got hassled. Maybe its because I didn't use them on-road like anyone else with common sense, or maybe I'm just special..

Now I'm not trying to start trouble & I am new to this site, but is insulting folks personally - for having an opinion or having something to say that disagrees with your thinking - the way things are normally done around here? or do I need to pay up & become a 'supporting member' to insult others?

You 'supporting members' should be taking the lead & setting an example for others, not ganging up & slapping folks down because you disagree, & paid a fee..
The whole argument is that, most states do not permit the usage of high mounted aux lights in the city streets. Simply because getting a good light cut-off that won't blind others is pretty difficult at that height, while at the same time illuminating properly what's ahead.

I dont think anyone is arguing that you can't mount them, you can, but you will probably not be able to use them inside the city or state roads. Even if its DOT approved, its probably not approved to be used at windshield height, but more like at bumper height, because you won't be able to not blind others with them on with them pointing forward. As you said, its common sense.

·
Premium Member
4,392 Posts
You're correct. NY doesn't require covers for lights, they just can't be on. PA is the only northeast state that requires covers to the best of my knowledge

21 - 28 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.