Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Edit: Holy hell did I put out an essay

I have this scrawled out over two pieces of paper, so hopefully I don't leave anything out getting it up on here. Pulled lots of numbers from UnlimitedLJ04 and Mudb8. Also I usually end up problem solving as I type stuff out. Trying to get my thoughts understandable for everyone else usually does wonders for me. So if it looks like I miss something obvious and by the bottom I have it solved, that's why.

Front

Stock was 13" shocks and the M95's I'll be going with measure out to 13.8" collapsed. According to some Unlimited posts, 13.5" will fit with no bump stop. That takes care of the shocks. Didn't have any interference cycling the suspension. Admittedly I forgot to fit my tire back on to check for rubbing, but eyeballing and very, very rough measurements look like it'll be fine (tube fenders in the relatively near future, anyways). Only concern left is coil bind. Haven't been able to find the length of the RC 2.5" springs I have on there.

Mount to mount the jeep sat at 17". The JK shocks were 14"c, 11"ext, 7.9" travel. Had to use bar pin eliminators on the lower end so I netted 3" up, 4.9" down. The M95's will be 13.5" collapsed, 22.75" extended, 9.25" travel for all intents and purposes. I can ditch the bar pin eliminators and will now have 4.5" up, 4.75" down.

Looks like I have about 5.5" of stock bump stop. So back to first section, what are the chances I'll need an extension to prevent bind? Used to have a 2" coil spacer on there with a 1" bump stop extension. By that logic [suspension lift over stock]/2 = extension needed. So I'll have to add on an extra 1/2" to be safe, for a total of 1.5" bump stop up front. (Late addition, looks like this'll also keep the tires out of the fenders.)

So with the 1.5" extension, I could go with longer shocks up front. Next size up I'm looking at 14.5" collapsed, 24.75" extended. Once I'm at full droop I'll barely have any weight on that tire as is, so doubtful it'd even have a benefit with the extra length. Could definitely use some input here.

(shorter) Skyjacker Suspension M9516 - Skyjacker M95 Performance MonoTube Front Shock for 84-06 Jeep® Wrangler TJ & Unlimited, Cherokee XJ, Grand Cherokee ZJ & WJ - Quadratec
(longer) Skyjacker Suspension M9525 - Skyjacker M95 Performance MonoTube Front Shock for 84-06 Jeep® Wrangler TJ & Unlimited, Cherokee XJ, Grand Cherokee ZJ - Quadratec

Rear

Taken from mudb8, I'll need a minimum of 1.5" extension to prevent coil bind ( bumpstops, shock length, and tires size. help me iron out the fuzzy points.. - JeepForum.com ). Nothing else rubbing. Tires fit no issue.

Now with JK shocks at 14.5" collapsed, 22.5" extended, and 8" of travel I have 4" up and 4" down. M95's measure 14.8" collapsed, 24.8" extended, 10" travel (just aboutmax for the coils I have in). This will put me at 3.7" up and 6.3" down. Now I was strongly, strongly considering the Teraflex upper mounts Teraflex 1244800 - TeraFlex Rear Upper Shock Adapter & Relocator Kit for 97-06 Jeep® Wrangler TJ & Unlimited - Quadratec , which would put me at a much more balanced 4.7" up and 5.3" down. New concern that just popped into my head as I type is will the tire rub on the tub with that extra inch of uptravel. At full droop I should have much more weight on the tire, too.

Skyjacker Suspension M9516 - Skyjacker M95 Performance MonoTube Front Shock for 84-06 Jeep® Wrangler TJ & Unlimited, Cherokee XJ, Grand Cherokee ZJ & WJ - Quadratec

Think I got it all out. That and I'm tired of typing and looking at numbers. Gonna go talk to my friend Johnny Walker and get back on it. Let me know if there are any measurements I missed. I may or may not have them. Sure I'll be back replying to myself anyways as I read it over lol.

Part #'s if links don't cooperate:
Front shocks: M9516 or M9525
Rear Shocks: M9529
Teraflex Mount: 1244800

1 - 1 of 1 Posts