Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After reading all the information in various thread I am pretty confident this setup will work well but wanted to run it by the experts before pulling the trigger. ;)

This will actually be a dual setup. Off-road / On-Road

Off Road - Setup

Tires: 35x12.5 / 15 BFG KOs
Wheels: Level 8 Trackers (19mm offset / 3.75" backspace)
Weight of Wheel/Tire: Approx. 80lbs
Lift: 2.5" AEV Dualsport Suspension kit with Geo Correction Brackets
JKS Quicker disconnects
ProCal to calibrate speedo and TPMS
Spare carried in trunk (not on the carrier)

On Road - Setup

Tires: 255/75/17
Wheels: Stock 17" Sport
Lift: Same as off road
ProCal to calibrate speedo and TPMS
Spare carried on the carrier

I plan to switch on the stock wheels and tires when I know I won't being going off road for extended periods.

I know the lift with stock wheels might look a little "odd," especially since my fenders are trimmed, but are there any glaring technical issues with this?

·
Registered
5,701 Posts
Your build looks fine but you may want to reevaluate your choice of tires. The KOs are more than able to handle on and off road duties very well and there is nothing wrong with the KOs but the new KO2s and Duratracs offer more traction offroad for a very minor tradeoff in road performance. The main issue with KOs is they tend to hydroplane which has likely been addressed with the new tread design. In this case you won't want to switch tires.

Unless fuel economy is your driving factor, switching tires used to be more common in the past but there are many tires today that can be used in both environments. Unless you want to run a very aggressive MT, like those purpose built for heavy mud you can comfortably use the same set of tires.

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
Other than BFG KO 35x15's looking like balloon tires, that's probably a good set up. I too wonder why the need to change tires. If it's to save your off road tires for off road and wear out the cheaper stock tires, that makes sense. Spinlock is right, most off road tires do very well on road and mileage won't be drastically different.

I'd look at the 315/70/17 inch Duratrac with the TKO. Better all around on and off road tire IMHO. Wears well, rides well, better snow and rain performance and good hybrid tread.

BFG KO = 12.0 inches wide, 34.7 inches tall and 54 pounds. Duratrac = 12.5 inches wide, 34.4 inches tall and 60 pounds. TKO in 15 inches is 19 pounds and in 17 is 23 pounds. BFG total weight = 73 pounds, Duratrac total = 83. BFG is $200-ish, Duratrac is $300-ish. If you're on a budget, the BFG wins but if you swap in a Kelly TSR or Fierce Attitude (Duratrac's sister tires), they are more competitive on price.

BFG's aren't bad tires, just a 20 year old tread design that leaves something to be desired today. The KO2 is an option, but no plans to produce 15 inch versions.

Consider, if you haven't already, exhuast spacers and a Northridge 4x4 bolt kit. Not sure but if that kit doesn't come with shocks, you will need new ones. You might also need wheel spacers to run the stock wheels on that lift. You need them with the Teraflex 2.5 inch lift and stock wheels.

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/the-importance-of-changing-out-stock-bolts-128154.html

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the advice.

I forgot about the bolt kit! Thanks.

Went with 15s KOs because I'm getting a set from a buddy for $100 and with 80% tread left. Someday I'd get the KMs to replace them.

Plus tires are much less expensive in 15s and the overall weight of the wheel and tire is usually less.

The AEV kit has the bilstein shocks.

Wanted to switch out tires for fuel economy and reduce wear and tear on the wheel bearings, ball joints, etc.

Plus didn't want to upgrade the tire carrier to carry around the 35 all the time.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Are you going to be dealing with a lot of snow and ice on your roads? If so you might want to still keep a second set of tires for winter road conditions. I'm sorry but the duratracs and KOs while I love them, perform pretty damn poorly in those conditions.

·
Registered
36 Posts
On the topic of tires, the Cooper ST/Maxx tires are another tire worth consideration.

Depending on what type of off-road use you're planning, the ST/Maxx has some very hefty sidewalls.

Additionally, I haven't had mine cake up with snow, or throw stones or debris on the trail.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I will be dealing with some snow occasionally. My current tires are actually the Duratracs in stock size. They're supposed to severe snow rated...

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
On the topic of tires, the Cooper ST/Maxx tires are another tire worth consideration. Depending on what type of off-road use you're planning, the ST/Maxx has some very hefty sidewalls. Additionally, I haven't had mine cake up with snow, or throw stones or debris on the trail.
The coopers seemed too heavy for my liking and needs but I do like the price point on them.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I will be dealing with some snow occasionally. My current tires are actually the Duratracs in stock size. They're supposed to severe snow rated...
If only occasionally, you should be fine with the duratracs. The thing is, once you drive with dedicated snow tires, anything else will seem like pure crap. A good friend tells me this every year when the snow starts falling and he puts on his winter tires, and I quote, "Once you go blizzak you never go bizzak"

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
If you're getting 35's cheap, that makes sense. If you've got the Duratracs, those should be good to go in the snow. Saving weight and tread by switching is good but the BFG's and on 15 inch TKO's is about the same weight as the Rubi tire and wheel so you shouldn't have too many problems with wear and tear from a weight stand point. The extra forces due to size and offset might cause some extra wear but not too bad.

If you've got the extra set of wheels and tires why not switch them, right? I don't see anything wrong with that. You can probably carry the 35 inch wheel and tire on the carrier too, if it fits. It's no heavier than a Rubi set up so with proper snubbies, you should be OK. Up to you. I get wanting to be err on the side of caution.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You make some good points about the tire carrier. If the snubs are right length it might be alright with weight being only slightly more than rubicon setup.

I think I might switch the the black rock wheels though, since the offset will bring the tires under the fenders a bit more. That's the other concern I forgot. State laws need them under the flares.

If the stick out, then I'll deal with solving that problem when the time comes.

·
Registered
907 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts