Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got an incredible deal on a clarion fx 503 ($299). Has anyone ran into any major issues installing a double din in dash? Will be knocking back a few and installing this weekend.

·
Registered
234 Posts
No your dash is made for a double din. I bought a 2nd hand touchscreen jvc unit and it went in. Just get a good dash kit and wiring harness. I had to mod a thin plastic strip to make it fit flush but the instructions in the kit walked me thru it. Doesn't effect taking the jeep back to stock so no ill effects.

·
Registered
640 Posts
The metra dash adapter kit I got from Crutchfield was a poor fit and needed some trimming.

The OEM radio is double-din in the front, but vertically shorter in the back where it passes through the support brace, so I had to use a Dremel to cut the bottom of the brace off. The good news is that the brace itself is bolted into the structure, so I could take it out, cut it from a rectangle down to a 'c' (so to speak) and bolt it back in place. Of course I later went from a double-DIN to two singles (1DIN radio + Uniden 520xl CB) so that cut turned out to be wasted effort.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
The only modification needed is to remove a small lip from the bottom of the top crosspiece in the sub-dash...takes a minute or so with a sharp knife like a box cutter. The metal brace in the rear can be completely removed...it's not really necessary. The metra dash adapter kit I received from Crutchfield was a perfect fit.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts