Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of January's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All!

I need to replace the double din radio in my 2015 Wrangler JK as the screen is cracked and the whole unit is inoperable.

My question is all I would need to do is purchase a new double din radio and use all the existing rear connections (including the mounting harness) to connect to the new radio, correct?

I am trying to keep the cost down on install so i can purchase a nice radio.

I know i can remove the old one easily but do not want to get into soldering, etc.

Thanks!!!

·
Registered
469 Posts
You need to look at the maestro units. Without something like this it a real pain to install. There are some YouTube videos.

Sent from my I4293 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi and thanks for answering!

I noticed Quadratec sells units with their own "plug and play" harness which they claim makes install very simple. Is that really the case?

·
Registered
469 Posts
I don't know about the Qtec ones but if you want to put a double din alpine, kenwood, etc. In then the maestro make them plug and play with full steering wheel control.

Sent from my I4293 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Isn't there a module that is already in the car? Why would I have to purchase another maestro to program the steering controls?

·
Registered
910 Posts
Because the module in the Jeep is specific to Chrysler products, and the other unit "translates" all of that to a common standard understood by general-purpose replacements like Pioneer or Alpine or whatever. It's that way for all vehicles these days.

·
Registered
910 Posts
If it's the same model, yes. The seller will have to take it to a dealership and the dealer will look up a 4-digit security code. Don't buy a radio without that, it'll be useless.

·
Registered
469 Posts
So, if i purchased a jeep factory radio then i could literally just swap the radio out myself?
Don't do it. First you have to get the code - when I changed my jeep head unit out the dealer wanted $150 just to give me the code.

Secondly you can get a proper double din unit with nav (on and off road)

Here's my 9" Alpine unit.

Attachments

·
Registered
150 Posts
The list below does not include new speakers and references what I put in from scratch when I bought my 18' JKU. Did not want factory Alpine. But did want the steering controls. Also bought underseat sub (kenwood) and cameras (both not listed).

Kenwood Excelon DDX8905S DVD Receiver
1 $699.99 $699.99
iDatalink Maestro ADS-MRR Universal Radio Replacement & SWI
1 $103.15 $103.15
iDatalink HRN-RR-CH1 Install Harness for select Chrysler
1 $18.41 $18.41
SiriusXM SXV300V1 Satellite Radio Tuner
1 $59.99 $59.99
Kicker KISL Audio Interconnect cable
1 $12.99 $12.99
Euro Antenna Adapter OEM F to Motorola M
1 $11.04 $11.04
Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Kit 2007-Up, DD
1 $7.36 $7.36

·
Retired Moderator
104,345 Posts
Welcome to the Forum.

·
Registered
2016 Wrangler JKU sport.
1,109 Posts
Very satisfied with a new Kenwood DMX7706S I just installed. Used thei Datalink Maestro RR Interface Module and iDatalink HRN-RR-CH1 Factory Integration Adapter and all my steering wheel controls work. Also bought the ready made harness from Crutchfield which made the install pretty easy and not a big time consuming project.

The Maestro unit must be flashed via the net for your particular vehicle. Pretty easy to do it. Everything works and now have a backup camera, Car play etc. Very happy with the over all change to after market unit. Total cost was around 550 and I believe Crutchfield has dropped the price on this unit. Grrrrrrrrrrr

FWIW I used the install kit from Crutchfield and the unit fit almost perfect.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Very satisfied with a new Kenwood DMX7706S I just installed. Used thei Datalink Maestro RR Interface Module and iDatalink HRN-RR-CH1 Factory Integration Adapter and all my steering wheel controls work. Also bought the ready made harness from Crutchfield which made the install pretty easy and not a big time consuming project.

The Maestro unit must be flashed via the net for your particular vehicle. Pretty easy to do it. Everything works and now have a backup camera, Car play etc. Very happy with the over all change to after market unit. Total cost was around 550 and I believe Crutchfield has dropped the price on this unit. Grrrrrrrrrrr

FWIW I used the install kit from Crutchfield and the unit fit almost perfect.

Everything listed above is from Crutch. Cant say enough about them. They dropped my Kenwood price 100 within a year...so be it.

Did you use the factory camera or mount your own?

·
Registered
2016 Wrangler JKU sport.
1,109 Posts
Everything listed above is from Crutch. Cant say enough about them. They dropped my Kenwood price 100 within a year...so be it.

Did you use the factory camera or mount your own?
I bought one from Amazon for about 80 bucks with the camera.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts