Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i fell asleep with my roof panels off and woke up to the relaxing and soothing sounds of thunder and falling rain. As I lay there for several more minutes just enjoying the wonders of nature a thought entered my mind....oh $#!+ my roof panels are off!!!

'08 JKU Automatic Trans

Next day damage report.

*Wipers stuck on
*Headlights stuck on
*Instrument cluster dark
*No speedo or tach
*No fuel or temp gauges
*No annoying chime when my doors open
*A/C no workie but fan OK
*Radio works

I also had to use the manual override to get the vehicle out of Park.

I've unseated and reseated all the center console and instrument cluster connectors.

I've left the battery disconnected while doing so...clearing ECU.

I've pulled and checked every fuse.

Any suggestions? I've probably skipped something easy...I hope.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
your going to have to leave it sit and dry out for a few more days and pray. At best your going to probably need a new clock spring. at worst you might need a new TIPM.....

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
your going to have to leave it sit and dry out for a few more days and pray. At best your going to probably need a new clock spring. at worst you might need a new TIPM.....
Thanks for the TIP(M)

I saw absolutely no evidence of any water getting inside the areas I had apart, is there another spot I should check beside the center console, cluster and TIPM/fuses?

I haven't checked the clockspring yet.

Is there a fuse for the instrument cluster? Is there some secret code under the cover for this?

Adding to the list:
*No washer pumps
*No turn signals
*No interior lights either
*Basically only headlights, tail lights, brake lights, emergency lights, wipers, and radio work

Luckily the thing drives and seems to run "just fine", and I can use my OBD2 Bluetooth dongle and Torque to watch my speed/RPM/temp/fuel level and other vitals.

I can't believe people drive around with no top if only 1 rain soaking can lay waste to your electronics like that. I thought this thing was a bit more resilient, of course it was a pretty serious downpour and I had at least a half inch of water in my cup holders.

I am not sure if it is by design, but all my "vitals" mentioned above still function as soon as the key is turned on. I can turn the stereo off, but the others are on with the ignition, as if some sort of limp mode has been triggered.

I did have to use the parking bypass switch to get my vehicle out of park, but it seems unlikely that would disable my instrument cluster and such.

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
Put a fan inside and let it all dry out!

I left mine out in the driveway on Saturday while we went downtown. Cameras showed it pouring rain for at least an hour (I had the safari top on at least). Floors and carpet were soaked

·
Super Moderator
9,988 Posts
RokGoblin, You're lucky to live in Colorado. Our arid climate will dry that mess out in a couple days. I'm unfamiliar with JKs so my advice may not be exact for your particular Jeep.

If the carpets and mats are removable, I suggest taking them out and placing them up side down on a hard surface. Your driveway or a picnic table should be fine. Drying the carpets out of the vehicle will help prevent mildew.
Then, leave the Jeep where the sun will shine on it. Leave the tops off so the evaporating water won't condense in the hard interior surfaces. If you have any standing water on the floor, look for drain plugs and remove them. If no plugs, use a towel or sponge to wipe up as much water as possible.
I'd park the Jeep with the dash facing south so the sun can dry out the dash. If there is any trim that you can easily remove, you might consider doing so. You can leave the glove box open and remove anything from there and the console. If your dash is still apart, I'd leave it apart so air can circulate in there.

I wouldn't worry about any electronics for a few days. If you're lucky, once the water dries out your issues will resolve on there own.
I had a new detailer working for me that soaked the dash of a customer's 4 Runner. I told the customer that his vehicle wasn't done yet and paid for his rental car. As I remember, the radio didn't work and there might have been a couple other issues.
I left the 4 Runner in the storage yard with the battery disconnected and the doors open over the weekend. By Monday, it was totally dry and no electrical issues. Hopefully you'll be as lucky.

The local weather report tells us the temps will be in the low 90s with a 10% chance of isolated showers. If you can avoid any of the isolated showers, you should be in good shape. Since it's Monday, you may have to take your Jeep to work. If you do, I suggest you take your roof panels with you and keep an eye on the afternoon skies.

Keep us posted about how it goes.

Good Luck, L.M.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I got caught in the 4th of July rain, hail and thunderstorm in Highlands Ranch with the top completely down in my YJ. My JK was at home in the garage ;) But, I pulled the drain plugs, pulled the carpet off the floors ( I put stuff under the carpet to hold it off floors, but didn't totally take it out as that is a pain) Setup a fan in my garage to keep air moving across the carpets and in 1 day all was dry. I didn't park it outside because everyway was thunderstorming those couple of days, otherwise I probably would have done that.

But I didn't have any electrical gremlins in the yj, and I had about 1-2" of water in the floorboards, so it was SOAKED! guess I was lucky. I haven't had water in my JK … yet

·
Premium Member
305 Posts
A few years ago my 13 JKU got soaked when the tops were off and a 1.5" of rain from a cloudburst hit. I was away and was unaware of the storm. Got back home and had well over an inch of water in the floors and the tray on top was full of water. The jeep started and ran and shifted, other than that everything else was totally non functioning. It took several days of drying and tinkering but nothing corrected the problems. Long story short, I ordered both stalks with the clockspring and it fixed it all. The radio dried out and was working the next day. No fuses blew or any other problems came of it. Got the parts from Rockauto and a video on youtube on how to do it and we were back in business.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the advice everyone...good news, the don't freak out and wait approach worked.

I was thinking clockspring, but everything came back on this afternoon at lunch time, I had A/C and all the dead systems that I mentioned are functioning normally again.

I still have the dash apart and will leave it like that another day and put it back together tomorrow after work. Maybe I'll take it to the car wash and pressure wash the dirt off the dash...jokes.

I left mine out in the driveway on Saturday while we went downtown. Cameras showed it pouring rain for at least an hour (I had the safari top on at least). Floors and carpet were soaked
Oh man Tyler that sucks! I got lucky this time, but I was a bit nervous for a while.

RokGoblin, You're lucky to live in Colorado. Our arid climate will dry that mess out in a couple days.

Keep us posted about how it goes.

Good Luck, L.M.
Thanks, that was a lot of very good advice, I need to do some of what you mentioned like removing the carpet all the way. I don't think the rain was more than a half inch, but I might consider leaving the carpet out to dry in the sun for a few days. I've had it out before.

I got caught in the 4th of July rain, hail and thunderstorm in Highlands Ranch with the top completely down...

...I pulled the drain plugs, pulled the carpet off the floors ( I put stuff under the carpet to hold it off floors, but didn't totally take it out as that is a pain) Setup a fan in my garage to keep air moving across the carpets...

...I had about 1-2" of water in the floorboards, so it was SOAKED! guess I was lucky. I haven't had water in my JK … yet
Apparently at first, at least for me, it sucks but once everything dries out, all is well. Clocksprings are not cheap however, so I'm thankful to be able to keep mine.

I like your idea about keeping the carpet off the floor and circulating air over and under.

A few years ago my 13 JKU got soaked when the tops were off and a 1.5" of rain from a cloudburst hit...

...I ordered both stalks with the clockspring and it fixed it all. The radio dried out and was working the next day. No fuses blew or any other problems came of it...
I don't feel so bad with what I perceived to by my "soaking"

I also feel fortunate that my clockspring dried out and started working again. I am not positive, but I think that's what caused the cluster and other lights, gauges, etc. to go dark in my Jeep.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Mine got caught in a heavy storm, sideways rain, the whole works last Wednesday night. Only had the bikini on. Everything was pretty well soaked, then I had to drive home in it lol.

Next morning I pulled it into the yard and left in my Caddy. By the time I got home it was completely dry and everything worked as normal. My dash was really wet that night so I expected some weird stuff, but I didn't have any issues even while it was wet.

I think the 07-10 are more susceptible to wet clock springs.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts