Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
4.0 Liter, 42,000 miles
Auto Transmission
BONE STOCK

Daughter turns 16 and needed a third car. No car, we are getting a JEEP! So we bought the above and as soon as the deal was made, parts for mods were ordered. So my daughter has been helping on installation. She has done the body lift and has helped me so far on the suspension lift. She is stoked to get it done. I'm having fun teaching her and learning a bit myself.:iamhappy:

So, onto my questions at hand. I purchased the OME Ultimate Kit from Dirk. Great guy, great products. I was able to get the front shocks, springs and sway bar disconnects on without much trouble. Thanks to WATER DOG's "cheat sheet"!

Question #1: Should I have loosened up the control arms? I didn't.

Question #2: Everything is on in the front, tires on the ground. I still need to install the front track bar. Should I have done this while things were torn apart or am I okay doing it now? The axle looks slightly shifted, but I am guessing that is why I need the new track bar. Jack the front up and install and call it a day?

Question #3: Have the rear jacked up and ready to do the rear springs and shocks and sway bar links. Should I get those installed first as well then tackle the adjustable track bar?

Thanks for you help.

After suspension lift will be BFG M/T KM2"s 33x10.5x15
then prime and paint JCR Offroad front and rear bumpers and sliders. I'll have to start my build thread soon.

·
Mostly old school..!
12,149 Posts
Question #1: Should I have loosened up the control arms? I didn't.
Yes, I would go ahead and loosen them up some now, then put weight on the front axle and re-torque them. That will eliminate any bind on the bushings.

Question #2: Everything is on in the front, tires on the ground. I still need to install the front track bar. Should I have done this while things were torn apart or am I okay doing it now? The axle looks slightly shifted, but I am guessing that is why I need the new track bar. Jack the front up and install and call it a day?
You are okay to do it now. Just take some side to side measurements of where your axle sits in relation to your frame. I usually take the wheels off (with the front axle on jack stands) and run a couple of nuts on to the brake rotors to hold them tight and use a straight edge from the rotors and measure to the same fixed part of the frame on both sides. You can use a ratchet strap to move the body axle relationship if you need to. It's easiest if you measure how much it's off, then adjust the track bar first. If you use a strap to pull it, it also compresses the suspension so you can't get an accurate measurement.

Question #3: Have the rear jacked up and ready to do the rear springs and shocks and sway bar links. Should I get those installed first as well then tackle the adjustable track bar?
As long as the back is already jacked up, you shouldn't have any problem doing the back first...Just don't try and drive it without a front track bar.

Sounds like you're having fun...I enjoy working on our Jeeps with my son. Don't forget alignment when you're done.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I don’t understand #1 doesn’t the Ultimate come with JKS adjustable control arms? Then you’d need to take the old ones off. I suggest PB blaster.
#2 Track bar can be done when ever point you’re at….
#3 remove wheels shocks, old control arms and springs. Install new track bar, control arms and adjust so that the bump stops hit where they should (do this by using a floor jack and lifting axle to bottom on the bump stops). Oh and keep in mind the pinion angle (you did get an sye didn’t you?). Then install springs and shocks.

·
Mostly old school..!
12,149 Posts
I don’t understand #1 doesn’t the Ultimate come with JKS adjustable control arms? Then you’d need to take the old ones off. I suggest PB blaster.
#2 Track bar can be done when ever point you’re at….
#3 remove wheels shocks, old control arms and springs. Install new track bar, control arms and adjust so that the bump stops hit where they should (do this by using a floor jack and lifting axle to bottom on the bump stops). Oh and keep in mind the pinion angle (you did get an sye didn’t you?). Then install springs and shocks.
Just FYI...The OME kit comes with JKS sway bar links, not control arms. Factory ca's are used. He doesn't need an SYE for a 2"-2.5" suspension lift.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
WaterDog and all, thanks for the replies and guidance. I will get the front back up when I finish the rear. Have all the rear shocks and springs out now so I think I will get the rear track bar out while I still have some room. And partially install the JKS one and adjust it when the rest is put back in.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Picture of rear torn down. Also have one snapped upper shock bolt to get out too. Ugh

1 - 9 of 9 Posts