Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't say thanks enough for all the help I've received from this forum! So I ordered the DPG OME Ultimate kit and I plan on installing it with a friend (but we are both noobs when it comes to suspensions etc.)

Is there any particular order that makes it easier to install the parts?

We plan on installing the body lift and motor mount lift first. Then what's the best order for the additional upgrades?

shocks, springs, quick disconnects, front & rear track bars, adj end swaybar links...

Any help/tips would be much appreciated!! :thumb:

·
Registered
451 Posts
That was the order I used: body lift and motor mount lift first, and you need both to avoid having to re-position the radiator shroud or any need to tweek the transfer case shifter. Then the Jeep can be driven. I say this because the BL and MML are time consuming, with just me it took all day.

The second day, do the springs and shocks and the rear spring bumpstop extensions, then lower the Jeep onto the tires and install and adjust the trackbars to re-center the axles, and again you can drive it. Be kinda carefull on speedbumps, you might pull apart a stock swaybar link.

Do the swaybar disco's any time you want after the suspension lift, just adjust them 2.5" longer than stock and bolt them on.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I just got all my stuff from the same kit

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks KaiserJeeep for the advice! Much appreciated

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I got the body lift in and I was working on the MML but need a longer socket to take off the bolt underneath holding it to the chassis.. Definitely took longer than I expected, you were right KaiserJeep

·
Registered
451 Posts
The MML is a real pain. I ended up with a 2x8 under the oil sump to jack it up off the mounts, one side at a time. Then getting the spacers in is a fiddly long time.

Now for the springs: Loosen the wheel nuts on the end of the Jeep you are working on, and block both sides of both tires at the other end. Use a floor jack and two jackstands, and raise the body tub and put the jackstands under the body tub, allowing the axle to droop down with the tires just off the floor. Remove the tires, then disconnect and remove both shocks (jack up one side of the axle 1/2" to take tension off the shock on that side, remove it, then do the other side). Then jack up one side of the axle with the floor jack under the disk, which droops the opposite side low enough to allow you to pop out the stock spring. Now do the bumpstop spacer on the down side, and then install the new spring. Unfortunately the OME springs are longer, I used coil spring compressors to get them in place. Repeat on the other side. Lastly install both longer OME shocks.

Safety tip: use your spare tire and always have it laying underneath the corner of the Jeep you are working on, in case it topples off the jackstands. It will prevent the Jeep from falling on you.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That walk through is perfect. I'll try and tackle that on Sunday. As far as the shocks, is there anything difficult regarding them? I don't have any instructions from the box they came in and haven't been able to find any videos online..

·
Registered
451 Posts
Nope, straight bolt-in. Nowadays OME supplies a shock with a bonded bushing and bar pin for a TJ. Much easier than fooling around with seperate hardware and a greasy bushing. It's easy to identify the front and rear shocks because the bar pin is at opposite ends - just make sure the outer shock tube is on top so it doesn't fill with water.

I do have a seperate socket for the end of the shock shaft opposite the bar pin. You can also just clamp a visegrip on the flats to keep the shaft from turning when you loosen the nut.

Just understand that a TJ suspension is normally limited in droop by the shock length. Yours will now droop down 2.5" more than it used to. You may have to put the jack under the diff and raise it a couple of inches to get the tires back on. Then after you lower the tires back on the floor, remember to cross-torque the wheel nuts.

·
Registered
451 Posts
In the earlier message I neglected to discuss the swaybars. IIRC you disco those just before the shocks, then replace the shocks, and then reconnect the new bars.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts