Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Periodically, when I turn the steering wheel in one direction to full lock and drive, when I bring the wheel back to what should be center it’s off a few degrees.

For example, last weekend my steering wheel was exactly centered so that the top was at twelve o’clock. While I was out I had to lock to the wheel all the way to the left and drive out of a spot. When I brought the steering wheel back to center, the top was at about ten o’clock.

This happens in either direction (turn left, off to the left; turn right, off to the right). I’ve checked the sleeve on the drag link and it’s still tight and torqued to the recommended 20ft/lbs.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Specs:
2001 Sahara
3" Lift
Metalcloak Trackbar (brand new, everything tight)
107k miles

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Whenever I have seen that happen before it was because the front track bar was shifting slightly at the axle side mounting hole. Often accompanied by a popping sound when the wheel is turned to full lock. Usually can be fixed by snugging up that bolt a little tighter. Unless the track bar bushing or frame tie rod end is wasted.

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
Yep, the steering wheel centering problem is usually a sign that the front axle is shifting side to side. AKA the track bar at fault.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts