Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m replacing my steering and all is well except I can’t get the top drag link removed from the pitman arm. Admittedly, I don’t have a standard puller (need to order online as I can’t find locally) but I’ve tried the two hammer trick, pickle fork, heating it, etc. but it won’t budge. I do have a 3 prong puller but it’s so cramped I can’t get a wrench to the tightening bolt and obviously no room to strike it from above. I’m not even sure a regular puller would fit.

Any additional tricks anyone can offer? I’m game for anything. It’s a 2007 model btw.

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
23,798 Posts
bigger hammer. Hold one steady on one side and bang like crazy on the other and it will pop.

Reactions: Nygex

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. I’ll look for one here but we usually have to get specialty tools shipped. In the meantime I’ll try an even bigger hammer :)

·
Registered
TJ
1,708 Posts
I used to have the hardest time with end joints/ball joints/stabilizer/etc... I finally bought a pickle fork and a big hammer...no longer an issue at all. The separator above is supposed to be even easier, use an impact drill with it and it'll come right off. Where do you live that you can't get any tools shipped?

·
Registered
8,101 Posts
The 2 hammer trick always works if you have 2 big hammers. The idea is that because the hole is tapered when you smack one side while holding I big hammer to the opposite side it actually squashes the hole and spits out the tierod. Be sure to spray penetrating oil on the tierod pin to help release it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I used to have the hardest time with end joints/ball joints/stabilizer/etc... I finally bought a pickle fork and a big hammer...no longer an issue at all. The separator above is supposed to be even easier, use an impact drill with it and it'll come right off. Where do you live that you can't get any tools shipped?
Oh, I can get them shipped but just takes a few days and I just didn’t want to be down for that time. I just ordered a full kit on Amazon so it should be here by Tuesday or Wednesday. Bahrain has an entire automotive village, Salmabad, but it’s unorganized and you just have to park and walk from shop to shop looking for anything. All the tools are most likely here, it’s just finding them that’s the problem.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
447 Posts
I too, tried the pickle fork method. No go. Even with fire.... and I may/may not have melted a wire/loom that was up against the frame where I couldn't see it. :eek: (seems to have not broken anything)

When I was doing my work, I was in HF at least a 1/2 dozen times. Eyeballed the separator tool long and hard, but figured I'd be confident based on others BFH approach.

Beat that thing like it owed me money for over an hour. No go. With HF no closed, the auto parts store listed a cheap one, so off I went. When I asked about it, they simply said "wanna just borrow one?". Heck yeah! Home... popped it off, and back to the store to return in like 30 min.

I may be wrong, but borrowing vs buying, I figured it'd be a better quality tool anyway...and just makes sense as often as you'd need one.

So yes... take advantage of the auto parts stores that "lend" tools (you "buy it", and they refund you when you return). Same store I borrowed the slide hammer from when I did axle shafts.

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
*Please disregard below. I disconnected and ran the steering wheel around. Just odd the length seemed to change.

Found the tool! Figures it would be one of the last places I looked. Now I have another question. I measured the drag link and set it to the same on the new one. However I can’t remember where center was on the pitman arm.

is this center or should I be pointing the extended part straight back? Tires not lining up straight with same length so assuming I got the pitman off center.

·
Registered
TJ
1,708 Posts
*Please disregard below. I disconnected and ran the steering wheel around. Just odd the length seemed to change.

Found the tool! Figures it would be one of the last places I looked. Now I have another question. I measured the drag link and set it to the same on the new one. However I can’t remember where center was on the pitman arm.

is this center or should I be pointing the extended part straight back? Tires not lining up straight with same length so assuming I got the pitman off center.
Did you take off the pitman arm? Is it the angle of the photo, or is your pitman arm have a curve to the side? When I replaced my draglink, I started with the same size as before, but had to adjust to re-align my wheels again as it wasn't an exact same copy as my old one.

·
Registered
8,227 Posts
I just use a hammer most of the time. You have to support the work though. If you don't support the work then most of the hammer blow gets soaked up in movement of the work. Use a hydraulic jack to support the other side of the part you are banging on. It's similar to the double hammer trick but better. Things usually come apart with a few swift blows.

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks everyone. I found one of these (pic below) locally and popped it right off. Got everything lined up enough to take to the alignment shop and all is good now. I installed the Barnes 4WD Aluminum tie rod and drag link and happy with it so far. I also went ahead and put in the RockJock sway bar. Riding really nice now.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.