Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I think I found the source of my steering dead spot. The tie rod end (drag link end...?) that connects the drag link to the pitman arm. So I ordered a new one and it comes tomorrow. But I've only replaced tie rod ends at the steering knuckle, and this seems a little different (where do I hit with my hammer?!). So, how do I do this?

Attachments

·
Mostly old school..!
12,149 Posts
You don't need a pickle fork. Loosen the nut to the top of the threads, then using a 2#+ hammer hit the end of the pitman arm 3 or 4 hard sharp blows and it will fall apart. The nut will prevent it from falling. The picture shows where to hit on the steering knuckle for a tie rod end, but the same thing applies for any tapered joint. Just hit the part with the tapered hole in it adjacent to where the stud goes through.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You don't need a pickle fork. Loosen the nut to the top of the threads, then using a 2#+ hammer hit the end of the pitman arm 3 or 4 hard sharp blows and it will fall apart. The nut will prevent it from falling. The picture shows where to hit on the steering knuckle for a tie rod end, but the same thing applies for any tapered joint. Just hit the part with the tapered hole in it adjacent to where the stud goes through.
Perfect. Thanks Water Dog. I think I owe you a beer for all the advice you've given me over the past couple days.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Did ja get it? I was striking mine on the wrong side and with a small hammer. Don't be afraid to really whack it.

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
A pickle fork is much easier on your sector shaft...chose the beat down method I'm sure your steering box will thank you back soon enough. Good method for other joints though.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts