Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, 09 JKU Rubicon, Supersport 2.5" suspension lift, 35" tires, and 1.25" body lift.

After installing the lift and steering stabilizer I noticed the drag link was contacting the steering stabilizer, I think it's on left turns.

I emailed Supersport to tell them about my issue and they had me take a few pictures to send them. Those pictures are attached below. The tech informed me my draglink looks bent which could be why it's contacting. I did look at the pictures again and it sure does look bent however it almost looks like it is bent outwards as a result of contacting the stabilizer. I do not have the jeep for a few days as it is in the shop getting the heater core replaced so I can't take any more pictures or take a better look at it. Here are my questions:

What would be an appropriate fix for this? Lose the stabilizer?
I've seen drag link flip kits but when looking at those online seems like there is more work then just installing the drag link on top. Idk. I am new to the jeep world and don't want to perpetuate the issue.

Pictures for reference.

Attachments

·
Registered
43 Posts
Wow I have not seen a stabilizer setup like that. You could try to loosen the stabilizer clamp on the tie rod and rotate the clamp so it puts the end of the stabilizer further away from the drag link. Not sure how much it will be able to adjust, though. Also it is hard to see in the pics but if you rotate it much the bolts from the clamp may hit the drag link themselves. I assume the center mounting point for the stabilizers cannot be adjusted or moved to the right?

·
Super Moderator
15,389 Posts
Maybe it's the angle of the pics, but I agree that your drag link looks bent.

Like mentioned loosen the bolts on the end of the SS and rotate it backwards a bit, see if that helps. And if the drag link is bent then replace it.

FWIW a properly set up steering system doesn't need a SS, you may have issues elsewhere that are being masked by it.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, the jeep never had any steering issues prior to the lift. I had a shop install the lift kit and stabilizer as a package deal so I uave never actualy driven without it. When I get the jeep back i am going to take a look at that drag link and replace if necessary. Will another alignment be necessary?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
15,389 Posts
Well, the jeep never had any steering issues prior to the lift. I had a shop install the lift kit and stabilizer as a package deal so I uave never actualy driven without it. When I get the jeep back i am going to take a look at that drag link and replace if necessary. Will another alignment be necessary?

Preset the new drag link to the length of the old one, install, then fine tune to center the steering wheel. So easy even I can do it :thumb:

·
Registered
2,312 Posts

That drag link, it is not the same shape as the stock one. I can't say why, perhaps a hell of an impact as where the bend should be looks wavy (like paint that is raised off bent metal) and possibly cracked towards the knuckle. Or maybe it was a cheep replacement off amazon or some random shady site. The tierod looks to be too clean to be the same age as the dragling so my guess is someone replaced it, which supports my massive impact theory.

A correct stock one would have a significant bend right where the bracket for the steering stabilizer is on the passenger side that would sweep back to the knuckle.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That drag link, it is not the same shape as the stock one. I can't say why, perhaps a hell of an impact as where the bend should be looks wavy (like paint that is raised off bent metal) and possibly cracked towards the knuckle. Or maybe it was a cheep replacement off amazon or some random shady site. The tierod looks to be too clean to be the same age as the dragling so my guess is someone replaced it, which supports my massive impact theory.

A correct stock one would have a significant bend right where the bracket for the steering stabilizer is on the passenger side that would sweep back to the knuckle.
You are half right. Never been in an impact. Tie rod was replaced with a new one when the lift kit was put on due to the sleeve being seized and rusted pretty bad. They did not replace the draglink and never brought it to my attention either during install or I likely would have had them replace that as well. Prior to me having any work done it was a bone stock single owner (wife).

I should be able to get better pictures friday.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I took a couple of pics of my OEM drag link. (I replaced it when the ball joints went.) There is a bit of a bend in it but does not look to be as much of a bend. On the gripping hand, it is from a RHD JK, not LHD.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Maybe it's the angle of the pics, but I agree that your drag link looks bent.

Like mentioned loosen the bolts on the end of the SS and rotate it backwards a bit, see if that helps. And if the drag link is bent then replace it.

FWIW a properly set up steering system doesn't need a SS, you may have issues elsewhere that are being masked by it.
/\This. Why not just remove the passenger's side stabilizer? If it needs both, you have other problems.

Mark

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
/\This. Why not just remove the passenger's side stabilizer? If it needs both, you have other problems.

Mark

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Might do that, or may just get rid of it all together. Ive never driven it without it after the lift and tires were put on as it was a "recommended" item. Jeep drove fine before the lift so on theory it should be fine now, I would think...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts